347 power limits

Mattsn2o281

Quick question. What is the power limit for a built small block ford, 5.0 block based? It has a girdle, and all forged bottom end, and all arp fasteners, main studs, rod bolts etc. I'm not as worried about the rotating assembly as i am the block, i just got a new toy and am trying to figure out how far i can push it. :cool:

The motor supposedly makes well north of 500hp at the crank and i had planned on a small nitrous hit on top of that? Pushing it to far? Safe? Thoughts?

Matt

well if you can find a B-50 block..it was the best bang for the buck! rated for 800hp @7500rpm.. but now ford is only casting the new boss 302 block. then theres man-o-war blocks and the like! but all those are 1800 and up..where the b-50 block was only 900!

500 at the fly is pushing it in some case's.. but i have personanily put some thru more then that!

spray it untill you can see the insides!

+1

my set-up is pretty mild, but i've been reading 5.0 and MM&FF for over 10 years religiously, and they tend to advocate no more than 500 for the stock block. the main girdle will help prevent crankwalk, but not strengthen the block a ton.

i'm not sure what the b-50 block is, but it might be referring to the 'sportsman' block. i've seen those bare for $750, and they can supposedly handle a bit more power. i would think you'd be pushing it with a h/c/i 347 making around 500 at the crank, and then adding anything more than a 75-100 shot--you'll be pushing it with that alone, unless you go with a 4 bolt block. just a hunch, i have no personal experience with this, just from what i've read.

kirk

your already getting into split block territory

you'll need an aftermarket block or go 351w based to make more power reliably

Now later 351 blocks are just as bad. earlyer blocks are much stronger!

and the bad thing about N2o on it is, the spike in the Tq curve when you smack the button! that what will spilt the block! but then they do have valley gridles now.i have heard those will help. its not un heard of to put 800 or so thru one of these stock block's. just know you are running on borrowed time!

it has alot to do with block prep and tuning!

This is the automotive-related Common Area. This area covers all automotive related topics, anything from that car you saw on the road to the concept car you read about.

Do you still have that 350 block...

and tell your mom to stop calling me.

Do you still have that 350 block...

and tell your mom to stop calling me.

yes on the block! :D

My mom is long dead. Dont push that issue with me. :asshole:

where is your keys? :p

Thanks, So whats the deal on that boss block? can i swap my internals into it? I just want something that i can count on lasting for quite a while, yet make a decent amount of power. Also, i am guessing that that amount of power is going to murder a t5, so what would you all suggest as far as a transmission? i was looking at liberty to get like a proshifted kit, and also thinking of just swapping to a c4 with a brake. this is all new territory to me as i have never really had a car that made over 450 hp, so any advice would be great.

Oh and the motor is a fully forged, 11.5:1-12:1, built 347, fully ported afr's, fully ported victor jr intake, .680 lift solid roller, fed by a worked holley hp series carb, so i have no doubt that the motor makes killer power. its not your basic h/c/i 347.

sounds like bobby smith's old motor from his falcon!

but his made 586hp on fast racing's dyno, and had the victor jr heads.

you can swap in a tremec or t-56. and some places make bullet proof AOD trans for them if tyou still want over drive!

I vote T-56 :D

cool, thats what i am leaning toward. where is the best place to pick up a decently priced one?

Also, this will be in my 04, not a fox, so i dont know if the weight difference changes anything?

And finaly, anyone know where i can find info on swapping a mod motor in a 68 stang? I'm doing a build for the guy i got the engine from and i want to research the subject as much as possible and figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks,

Matt

Just curious why this is now in tech? This is just a general discussion on power limits and motor swaps? EDIT: nevermind, just read the sticky under the passing lane, yup, this is tech alright, lol.

anyway, 91, let me know what you would be looking to get for that block and crank, if its not alot i may be interested.

Gearhead, Boost, and Kirk, if you know of any tricks to setting up a block aside from the above mentioned gridles, let me know, if i have to, and if that boss block wont fit ( ill just drop it in a ranger project if it wont work) i'll just get another 5.0 block and have it setup right.

Any idea on that 68 stuff?

The girdle works on holding the parts in...your gonna split a stock block soon, I know. The boss is the best bang for the buck. It will take all your stock stuff...you might have to machine down the lifter holes some to accept the dog bones though.

Guest Removed

well if aaron can even understand the gold mine he is sitting on. he'll keep sitting on it. and no your crank will not drop into that block!

bobby cracked/ broke 7 blocks...including a mexican 289 block! but he wasnt preping them right!

IMO main gridle, valley gridle, studs thru out,screw in freeze plugs, and cant think right now on the other stuff!