Idle surging with a/c on

lawnman

I have a 2000 lincoln Navigator. It runs fine under all circumstances except for when the a/c is on. When the a/c is on the idle will surge and drop, anywhere from 400 rpm's to 1200. Sometimes it will even stall out. Thanks for any help.

I'd check to be sure it hasn't leaked all the refrigerant out, but if it's not that I'd suspect the AC Low Pressure switch. I know they can be a problem on the Mustang, and it's likely the same part on the Navigator. The surging is likely due to it causing the compressor to cycle on/off constantly when the AC is turned on.

Guest 78novaman

On new-er Ford's the A/C compressor is meant to run whenever the A/C or defroster is on. The surge is most likely just the compressor kicking on and off. Either the system is overcharged, which is not likely unless you just had your car in for service; or it is undercharged, in which case you need to have the system checked for leaks. The other option is the orifice tube is plugged up, which is a high dollar fix.

Either buy a cheap gauge kit for ~$20 and check both the high & low side pressures or have a trusted shop check it out for you.