Boost, EGT, and wide band placement....

Science Abuse

Ok, the wide band plumbs in where the exhaust pipes meet, as far ahead as possible...right?

The boost gauge: Boost depends entirely on the volume of the pipe that you're checking. Should I plumb it into the blower top or the intake manifold? My intake manifold has an integrated liquid-air intercooler, should data be taken before cooling or after cooling? The way it is layed out, it may be difficult to find a post-cooling location that isn't an intake runner.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/38/bd/68_1.JPG

Since boost is relative, does it matter where I take the data? As long as I don't move it, X boost will be consistent with Y AFR and Z EGT, right?

EGT: In the manifold or in the same place as the wide band?

Thanks in advance.

Wideband, where is the factory one located? You want to make certian you do not place it to far down stream as it will take longer to heat up and have a slightly delayed readings. I would say 12-18 inches from the cycliner head

Boost, anywhere off the intake manifold, I would say somewhere afterthe throttle body is good

EGT, does your car have an inhert cyclinder that runs a little hotter? If so tap that runner, if not get it as close to the collector as possible.

Issues with the wide band and O2 placement are, I have a straight 6 with two manifold, 3cyl each. All of the exhaust gasses arent in one place until just behind the transmission. As for an inhert cylinder...any way I could find that myself, because the BOK on these cars is very thin. No one plays with them.

Well with what Mr. Wright said sometimes the hottest cylinder in cars is the last one to see fuel and closest to the coolant exit in the block. Hondas are cylinder three, DSMs are either 2 or 4 i cant recall and fords mod motors, well take your pick.

I would put the EGT on the bank that sees fuel towards the end of the rail just to be sure

Do you have a vacuum line off your manifold for the brake booster? Splice into that for your boost gauge, but make sure you do it before any check valves that could be in the line.

The EGT should be off a single runner, about 2" from the head and on the outside radius (if it's curved there). If a cylinder is known to run hotter, use that.

Wideband is like all the others said. You could always run one sensor in each bank.