computer guys

88lx5oh

if i wanted to change out the processor in my PC what can i upgrade to.. here is a motherboard. i added a 160gb hd to it today so i got 240gig of space now, and also upgraded the memory with 1gb stick making me 1.5 gig... also wouldnt mind upgrading the video card... now i have just the onboard. any recomendations??

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00363480.gif

Slim pickins out there. The socket 478 CPUs aren't in production any more. This is about it:

P4 3.0

As for video, having only a PCI slot available to use is going to limit you again.

BFG 6200 PCI

It's an old board that was never really meant for performance computing, so options are slim to none. Sorry.

i would look for an upgrade on craigslist before buying a new "old tech" chip like that,

but the cpu he linked is about right as far as skt 478 goes, you WANT one with hyperthreading

you should be able to find one for like $20-30 used

as far as a video card goes, i would honestly tell you not to even bother plain old PCI is POOP and has nothing to offer

any card, not just the one he linked is not gonna be much better than onboard, especially not for the price you would be paying

i would look for an upgrade on craigslist before buying a new "old tech" chip like that,

but the cpu he linked is about right as far as skt 478 goes, you WANT one with hyperthreading

you should be able to find one for like $20-30 used

as far as a video card goes, i would honestly tell you not to even bother plain old PCI is POOP and has nothing to offer

any card, not just the one he linked is not gonna be much better than onboard, especially not for the price you would be paying

Depends on the application. If he's doing any sort of 3D gaming, the linked card will be WORLDS better than onboard. And at only $70, it's not that pricey.

The parts linked above were reccomended assuming he wants to keep the computer. As I said, his current system severely limits his choices.

Now if he were upgrading his system, that's an entirely different story. But that's not the situation in the OP.

I am guessing this is your motherboard here? http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8122

The most you can upgrade the processor to is 2.8ghz. PCI is OK if that is your only option. Just get a video card with the highest amount of memory if you are going to play games. Otherwise get a smaller one.

I would reccomend a new motherboard, processor, memory and video card.

Memory is so cheap now, you can get 2gb for $50 or 60. You can get a core2 duo for $100 or so. You can get a decent motherboard for $100. Video, 256mb something decent for $50.

Is $300 too much? I think thats pretty reasonalbe for the performance gain....

you could probably sell your current mobo / proc / memory for $100

With HT, it's going to be faster in processing terms and multi-tasking capabilities. Kinda like VVTi for your CPU, even if it's 100Mhz slower than your current Celeron.

You need nothing to make it work, just drop it in and make sure you leave a light coating of thermal compound between the top of it and your heatsink. I'll be in Virginia tomorrow morning through Thursday afternoon, so you can either wait until I get back or make arrangements to get it tomorrow in the evening since Jessica has tomorrow off from school and work.