Changing bolt pattern. Do-able?

RedRocket1647545505

I'm looking at a particular set of wheels for my Colorado, but unfortunatly, they are only produced in 5 lug patterns, and GM decided to change the Colorados to 6 lug.....for whatever reason.

So, I got to thinking; I wonder how hard it would be to switch to a 5 lug pattern. Most of the decent looking wheels are produced in the 5 bolt style (I hate 6 spokes anyways).

Rears = drum. Not sure how I could do this.

Front = disk. I would guess it'd require a new hub, probably custom, as well as a new rotor of the same dimension.

Thoughts? I'm thinking it's probably not worth the aggravation and money. But, if it's something that maybe a particular company specializes in, then I might look into it.

You could probably go with a set of bolt-on wheel adapters. I think the Colorado is the normal GM 6x5.5" but with a different hub diameter. I'm not sure if there are any adapters of that type on the market that aren't meant for the larger full-size truck size hub, so you may not be able to locate anything "off-the-shelf" but could probably have them made. Skulte Performance Designs does some custom wheel spacers. I'd shoot him an email and see what he thinks (http://www.skulte.com/).

You could probably go with a set of bolt-on wheel adapters. I think the Colorado is the normal GM 6x5.5" but with a different hub diameter. I'm not sure if there are any adapters of that type on the market that aren't meant for the larger full-size truck size hub, so you may not be able to locate anything "off-the-shelf" but could probably have them made. Skulte Performance Designs does some custom wheel spacers. I'd shoot him an email and see what he thinks (http://www.skulte.com/).

This is the most obvious answer, and I completely didn't think of it. Thanks for the reality check. :cool:

And yes, it is 6 x 5.5"

No problem. Andris Skulte makes nice stuff. I have know alot of F-body guys that have used them or his machined spacers with great success. I actually had a set of custom machined hub-centric spacers for the Mustang I never got around to using. They aren't cheap, but they're one of a handfull of wheel adapters I'd trust. Come to think of it, converting all the brakes could be more than $400 or so in spacers anyway.

there would be no way to change bolt pattern with out replacing the brakes and hubs and a bunch of other stuff that would need to be custom made so wheel adapters are you only hope. i got mine from http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp i read alot of good stuff about this guy. they were pretty cheep for what i got and fit perfect.

there would be no way to change bolt pattern with out replacing the brakes and hubs and a bunch of other stuff that would need to be custom made so wheel adapters are you only hope. i got mine from http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp i read alot of good stuff about this guy. they were pretty cheep for what i got and fit perfect.

Yea. I was waaaaay overthinking the situation. It's a Monday. It happens. :o

Guest 614Streets

Your link didnt work so here it is corrected.

http://www.skulte.com/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=6fbe36c1a244ddee5f8ab1c684a41403

This is where I got my wheel adapters years back when I became the first person to put c5 wheels on a 2wd s10.

Wasn't trying to be a dick, I just have a natural tendency to overexplain. :)

Haha. That comment wasn't directed towards you. It was meant (in a joking manner) for whatever mod moved this post to the tech section after I told them not to. Aw well, it's their site, and I got my answer, so I'm happys. :D

Coloradofans.com has strong suggestions AGAINST wheel adaptors/spacers. As long as it's a well built unit, which it appears to be...I don't see it as being an issue. They claim that their parts have held up to their TT Camaro without failure, so I think my little 200rwhp truck would be more than ok. Thoughts?

BTW, Cfans.com is mostly about throttlebody spacer and seat covers, so I don't take much of what they say to heart. I'm moving forward with the project anyways. :cool:

I didn't think it was actually directed at me, but figured I'd explain in case you took the "at least it's cheaper than a brake swap" comment as a jab.

As for bolt-on wheel adapters, they do have a generally bad public perception in some circles but I think that's largely due to people using substandard or incorrect ones. For instance, you could run right out and get some basic cast 1" adapter/spacers that adapt 6x5.5" to 5x4.75" for fairly cheap... then later you'd probably find that the hub hole was too large, so you have no support there and that the material is not really the proper choice to take that kind of abuse. I have seen alot of spacers and wheel adapters that are on the market that are the exact same design that companies like Mr. Gasket were selling 25 years ago. There were alot of guys using these back in the 70's and 80's (sometimes improperly, even) that had failures, so I think alot of that stigma has carried over. I think if you ask most people why they're scared of adapters they have had a run-in with a bad set/improper use or more likely just because they were told they were dangerous.

So in my opinion as long as the buyer makes an informed decision and buys a quality product, they'll likely have no issues. There are alot of guys running quality wheel adapters on road race and autocross third gen camaros so that they can use the plentiful and cheap 17's from the later cars. If that's any indication of the abuse a properly fit adapter will take, I'd think some easy to moderate DD action shouldn't kill them. As a precaution you could check your lug nuts with a torque wrench at regular intervals... but we probably should all be doing that anyway.

I didn't think it was actually directed at me, but figured I'd explain in case you took the "at least it's cheaper than a brake swap" comment as a jab.

As for bolt-on wheel adapters, they do have a generally bad public perception in some circles but I think that's largely due to people using substandard or incorrect ones. For instance, you could run right out and get some basic cast 1" adapter/spacers that adapt 6x5.5" to 5x4.75" for fairly cheap... then later you'd probably find that the hub hole was too large, so you have no support there and that the material is not really the proper choice to take that kind of abuse. I have seen alot of spacers and wheel adapters that are on the market that are the exact same design that companies like Mr. Gasket were selling 25 years ago. There were alot of guys using these back in the 70's and 80's (sometimes improperly, even) that had failures, so I think alot of that stigma has carried over. I think if you ask most people why they're scared of adapters they have had a run-in with a bad set/improper use or more likely just because they were told they were dangerous.

So in my opinion as long as the buyer makes an informed decision and buys a quality product, they'll likely have no issues. There are alot of guys running quality wheel adapters on road race and autocross third gen camaros so that they can use the plentiful and cheap 17's from the later cars. If that's any indication of the abuse a properly fit adapter will take, I'd think some easy to moderate DD action shouldn't kill them. As a precaution you could check your lug nuts with a torque wrench at regular intervals... but we probably should all be doing that anyway.

Yea, like I said, I'm not too worried about it. Keeping an eye on it isn't too much fo a problem. I figure if you're not responsible enough to check up on something like that, you probably shouldn't be running it.

Funny thing though. The same guys that were critisizing wheel spacers/adapters, are the same ones that said $500 was too much. lol. Go figure.