The LQ4?

Rally Pat

What do you guys think of the LQ4 as a budget platform for a motor? The reason I ask is if I ever get some money saved up, I would probably want to keep my FC and yank the 2.3 for something more powerful, as I will have already spent money on suspension mods too. I am a huge fan of "even if I have money, I wont spend it if I dont have to" builds.

This was sort of what got me thinking:

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_0704_lq4_short_block/index.html

Wow. That was really vague.

For starters, the last thing I would do would be converting it to a carbed setup. Sorry, but there is a reason why they went to fuel injection in the first place.

Second off, the engine's compression ratio really raised an eyebrow for me. It seems to be perfect for a turbo. Not sure about how the pistons were manufactured (if they could take it), but I see a lot of LS1/LQ4 hybrid motors that are turboed or supercharged. There is actually a guy who has a Foxbody with a twin turbo LQ4 in it. Im sure that will make the Mustang fanboys cringe, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Ls series of engines are some of the most powerfull small displacment pushrod motors ever made

thats why they make an LS series k-member for fox mustangs now :)

Heh fanboys all around the world are crying in pain from that, I am sure. I think building a fox body with an LS1 would be totally awesome.

Enlighten us.

Fuel economy is the main one that matters to me, but there are other things like ease of service and upgrade ability, and you dont have to worry about having to tune a carb. I prefer to have an ECU to make sure my mixture is mathematically perfect.

Weak sauce.

My first V8 build was a 350hp carbed 355 in an 87 S-10. It passed all emissions for a 2.5l 4 banger, and got 20mpg on the highway. Nothing is easier than servicing a 750 Edelbrock with a handful of knowledge. Tuning never took more than an hour.

Reading plugs and looking at an A:F gauge FTW

For the record - I have NOTHING against fuel injection. Great idea. It's just usually ignorance that leads to the all-too-common "carbs suck" mentality .

if you can find one on the cheep then yeah, alot of places have bumped the price due to the demand of people like you and me. the pistons will never take alot of boost. why not just find an LS1 and save a ton of weight and add a turbo or supercharger to that? it will hold together juat ask anthony lol.

Well, I figured an LQ4 would be cheaper than an LS1. That is the main reason, really. Otherwise, I dont really have any other reason to not get an LS1.

But the 2.3 will come first. There are some serious shit talkers that need to eat their own words.

so you would rather waste money on a 2.3 when you could go bad ass and get an LS1? can't you see it now?

guy: hey bud thats one fast SBF you got there how did you do it?

you: SBF? no i have an stock LS1 in it.

guy: no wonder its so fast, like magic.

so you would rather waste money on a 2.3 when you could go bad ass and get an LS1? can't you see it now?

guy: hey bud thats one fast SBF you got there how did you do it?

you: SBF? no i have an stock LS1 in it.

guy: no wonder its so fast, like magic.

I

Dont

Have

the

funds

for

an

LS1.