TIGHTENING MY CHAIN

Skipdalocksmith

Does anyone know how to tighten my chain on my bike? It's LOOSE and I don't know how to do it, THUS I am no longer riding it until I get this done. It's real loose, but not hopping off the sprocket loose JUST YET!... At least I don't think that it is...

Anyways, if it's simple perhaps someone could tell me, or offer to do it at whatever REASONABLE price.

Let me know ASAP PLEASE

- SKIP

614-507-1515

OH, and I live Close to Morse Rd.

Thanks for reading me!

I could swing by today after work If you need the help... I have tools and a rear stand in my car so that wont be a problem. I can bring some lube too if you want to clean it before I come, then we can get fresh lube on it... Let me know!

I could swing by today after work If you need the help... I have tools in my car so that wont be a problem. I can bring some lube too if you want to clean it before I come, then we can get fresh lube on it... Let me know!

There goes Yota always trying to put lube on some dude... weirdo.. :nono:

I could swing by today after work If you need the help... I have tools in my car so that wont be a problem. I can bring some lube too if you want to clean it before I come, then we can get fresh lube on it... Let me know!

:banana::banana::dunno:

Don't be a hater now Floundy. Don't you remember your first lubing by a dude? You're straight guy charade has gone on long enough hasn't it.

WOW!!! Lotsa Support that's GREAT, I sorta expected ZERO replies but Nope!!

Whelp whoever can help just hit me up 507-1515 I can give you the address, bring it, meet ya, whatever is convienant for whoever is helping me... excuse my error in spelling, I hear that's a HUGE NO NO on here!!... Grammer & Spelling is EVERYTHING to some.... on here, I don't want peps to start hating on me!! -

hehehehee

L8R T8R and THANKS for the help offerings

Sincerely,

- SKIP

• 2 weeks later...
dont need no rear stand!!!!

No you don't. In fact you're suppose to adjust chain while on side stand.

It's simple, take out cotter pin, loosen nut, loosen screws and adjust to right tension lining up both sides with hash marks, then put all back together.

5-minute job.

Yeah I paid close attention and he and I decided we didn't need/have to have the stand too. So next time, when I tighten it I'm not going to use the rear stand. It kept getting tightg on us and we couldn't figure out why. It's prolly cause being on that stand, the tire kept moving back as we tightend the bolt. But now WE know - Thanks to EVERYONE for their help!! - ...

Flounder swings both ways?..... I didn't know that, I heard stories, but I thought they were pulling my "chain"!! Guess Not - ... Shawna Doesn't mind?... Doesn't she get Jealous??!! - I would with that "HOT PIECE OF A MAN" Flounder is.....!!.. j/k I hope you all know I'm just Josh'in - SKIP

Yeah I paid close attention and he and I decided we didn't need/have to have the stand too. So next time, when I tighten it I'm not going to use the rear stand. It kept getting tightg on us and we couldn't figure out why. It's prolly cause being on that stand, the tire kept moving back as we tightend the bolt. But now WE know - Thanks to EVERYONE for their help!! - ...

Flounder swings both ways?..... I didn't know that, I heard stories, but I thought they were pulling my "chain"!! Guess Not - ... Shawna Doesn't mind?... Doesn't she get Jealous??!! - I would with that "HOT PIECE OF A MAN" Flounder is.....!!.. j/k I hope you all know I'm just Josh'in - SKIP

yea it weird, it will tighten unevnenly sometimes (axel from side to side).....try pushing down on the chain or stick a screwdriver in the chain and sproket to put pressure on the left side and that may help the tightenbing prob

:)

or you can put the bike on the stands so that way sag can be set with the weight of the wider on the bike.

Second if your chain isw getting tighten when tightening then push your axle the other way through and tighten it from the other side. keep thinking this should make sence soon

Tighten chain while on side stand, or better yet have a friend set on seat and tighten. Then you need to align rear wheel. Align rear wheel with bike on stand.

The marks on swing arm are not always accurate. I have a 2007 Busa and the marks are off by almost a 1/2 mark.

I used this method. C/P from another site..

1. Lift the bike on the rear stand;

2. Cut a piece of twine (mason twine is perfect) approximately 18 feet long and mark the center of it with a felt tip permanent marker;

3. Use duct tape to attach the twine to the rear tire Attach it approx. 5 inches above the bottom of the tire (since the under plastic and front brakes will barely clear this height). Also, attach it using the center marking that you made in step 2, since you will be running both ends towards the front of the bike on either side;

4. Bring both ends of twine to the front and duct tape them on the front of the tire at a similar height to the rear making sure the twine does not touch anything except the tires

5. Adjust the front tire by turning it, until the distance is exactly the same from the twine to the tire sides;

6. Measure the distance between the two string sides through the wheel of the rear tire. I found this distance to be 7.75 inches on the stock rubber;

7. Cut a wooden dowel approximately 1/4 inch longer than the above distance (i.e. 8 inches for stock rubber). You could also use a pencil if you have one that is long enough. Cut notches in the dowel/pencil ends 1/8 inch deep each;

8. Place the dowel (using the notches) between the two twine lengths immediately behind the front tire (see the attached photo, section #3). This will make the twine lines the proper distance apart (parallel) for the length of the wheelbase;

9. If the rear tire is out of alignment, the twine will be off of the front of the rear tire a bit. Or, tighter on one side than the other. If the twine lines up nicely, then you are done... Otherwise, continue to step number 9. BTW - 0.5mm error is okay, since tires aren't any more accurate than this;

10. Remove the cotter pin and loosen the axle nut. The axle nut is 36mm;

11. Loosen the lock nuts on both sides of the tire. They are 12mm;

12. Turn the adjuster bolts (there is one on each side of the bike) in opposite directions in very small increments until the tire is proplery aligned. The adjuster bolts are 10mm;

13. Tighten both lock nuts;

14. Tighten the axle nut with a torque wrench set at 100 Nm (10 kgf-m or 72.5 ft-lb);

15. Double-check the alignment and then remove the dowel and twine. BTW - save the dowel and you can skip steps 5 and 6 the next time around;

16. Replace the cotter pin;

17. Take the bike off the rear stand. Don't forget to double-check the chain tension.

align.jpg