Home theater????

Putty

I bought a Pioneer VSX-917v in Sept and just opened it, since house was just completed and theater is set up. I have HDMI DVD player, cable box with RCA out, and a 360(rca). I was told I could run all those into the receiver and it converts the signal to HDMI out to TV. This is not working. The DVD player plays for a sec and on my plasma after a few picture blinks it says..."Display connected, Non HDCP compliant"....Then it goes to snow on the screen...What does that mean? No sound from DVD either. I get no sound at all from the 360, just sound(very low, volume turned way up) from the cable box and no pic from either. It's like the receiver is not converting the signal to HDMI out....

Inventory goes....plasma TV only connected to HDMI....DVD player doing HDMI out. 10 speakers including two subs. Xbox 360 and TW cable box coax in, RCA out. All these are plugged into the receiver and a HDMI cable out to the TV.

Thats a lot of stuff hooked up. Ive found with the setup I just did that it definitely takes some quality shit to get things working rite.

With your HDMI sound problems.. Reading on your model there, it looks like you fooked yourself over with the HDMI setup. Yours is a passthrough model which will NOT ALLOW sound AND video to work with those devices rite to your TV. In other words you need to run optical cables or RCAs for sound to get those devices to work with sound. How many HDMI ins are on your plasma?

It looks like your receiver is almost identical to mine with all the inputs and such. This is truely a pain in the ass I feel your pain on this one.

Make sense??? I could swing by and look at that crap if you want me to, Ive literally spent the past 2 days of my life reading on the web regarding home theater setups lol

It seems as though there are many HDMI issues rite now with the technology still being so new esepcially with receivers, so when you buy any given HDMI receiver you won't be sure it will work properly with the equipment you have at home until you try it out. And what if you add a new component down the road and you have an HDMI glitch? Most of these devices at least accept firmware upgrades, which is nice, so at least theres a much better chance that down the road all the devices should work like they were designed to.

Is it better to get a good, interim receiver with adequate power and sound quality, rather than going for full HDMI capabilities at the moment? Probably so yes.

You should pick up an HD dvd player, shit looks AMAZING.

Thanks for that....I have one HDMI in the TV. I have two HDMI inputs on the receiver and one HDMI out. I have the DVD player in HDMI 1 and nothing in 2. I have the coax out the wall into the cable box and RCA out the cable box to the receiver, which was told to me would convert that to the HDMI out to the TV.....so I ran the Xbox into another RCA input on the back of the receiver in hopes it would convert that signal to HDMI out, too. All the speakers work cause the receiver has this auto speaker setup where I plug in a mic and it sends this sound through all of them....kinda like a surround test. It's called MCACC...Yet nothing gives sound but the cable box w/no picture and the sound is damn low....two friends and 2am could not figure the shit out...PISSED!

Ya your sounds will never work with that setup rite now. Something regarding stupid licensing issues with HDMI and different companies. (there are some NEW receivers that do a TRUE HDMI setup though) You'll need alternate sources for the sounds on those devices. Either optical, digi coax or RCAs. Work on getting the videos to work, and then changning the receiver to the correct input to get the sound to work. My receiver also has the little sound setup thing. The low sound from cable box could mean incorrectly setup sound options on the receiver.

Do you have digital cable trying to watch HD channels?

If youre not trying to run anything in HD you can just stick with all component RCAs and disregard the HDMI all together. I would only run an HDMI cable for something your getting HD sig from.. like upgrading to a nice HD DVD player. You can hook an HDMI up between the TV and the HDplayer then. For that you can run an optical out from the HD player to the receiver and use one of the receivers inputs for the sound.

Ill post up a pic for you in a sec

Once you get that to work... you will like that receiver. I have the 815 and it works like a champ. I do not have the HDMI problem, because mine does not have those inputs, I use the RGB and RCA cables. If you need to go to RGB the picture is still great, don't be afraid to do it.

Once you get that to work... you will like that receiver. I have the 815 and it works like a champ. I do not have the HDMI problem, because mine does not have those inputs, I use the RGB and RCA cables. If you need to go to RGB the picture is still great, don't be afraid to do it.

Exactly especially on an older style XBOX and cable TV. I would surely use the HDMI on ANY HD device though. I wouldnt bother with the HDMI on a reg dvd player and 480i sdvds though (standard def. dvds).

I use HDMI for digital picture and optical cables for sound. If i'm reading your stuff right it sounds like you are trying to have the receiver upconvert composite or component inputs to a HDMI out to the TV?

John are you missing a center channel there or are you using your TV as the center?

Mine is similar, except i have a rear center (6.1) plus a normal center channel infront of my tv.

I use HDMI for digital picture and optical cables for sound. If i'm reading your stuff right it sounds like you are trying to have the receiver upconvert composite or component inputs to a HDMI out to the TV?

John are you missing a center channel there or are you using your TV as the center?

Mine is similar, except i have a rear center (6.1) plus a normal center channel infront of my tv.

Ooops no I have a center lol

Rear center eh, now that sounds like an idea. My setup is only made for 5.1.

The problem with 6.1 and 7.1 is there are so few movies that output that signal. Hopefully we'll see some higher bitrate encoding with the HD dvd/bluray players. My Denon will do 7.1 but i didnt feel like setting that up in my greatroom. Maybe in the home theater room I'm building but I dont need it right now. I only have 2-3 movies that have 6.1 and I dont think any with 7.1.

OK, I called Pioneer and they told me I was told WRONG at Best Buy.....go figure. This receiver does not convert up to HDMI....only to RGB....So I can run RCA into the receiver and RGB out to TV..I still need sound though..

Here is the 10 speakers you ask about....All Polk Audio

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/room1.jpg

OK, I called Pioneer and they told me I was told WRONG at Best Buy.....go figure. This receiver does not convert up to HDMI....only to RGB....So I can run RCA into the receiver and RGB out to TV..I still need sound though..

Here is the 10 speakers you ask about....All Polk Audio

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/room1.jpg

4 subs.... :eek: Are you trying to irritate you neighbors? I hope you are not in an apartment/condo :lol:

4 subs.... :eek: Are you trying to irritate you neighbors? I hope you are not in an apartment/condo :lol:

The right sub is a passive sub that might go in a closet..The tower subs are 12s and the right corner sub is a powered 10, so I might just have 3 subs.....Yes, it's in a house....pretty big great room.

The right sub is a passive sub that might go in a closet..The tower subs are 12s and the right corner sub is a powered 10, so I might just have 3 subs.....Yes, it's in a house....pretty big great room.

Looks to me like you are running "7.1" or close to it. Seems like it should sound good when you get it running.

Did you run all you wires in wall?

What brand drivers are you running?

This is what I am running for speakers....click

Looks to me like you are running "7.1" or close to it. Seems like it should sound good when you get it running.

Did you run all you wires in wall?

What brand drivers are you running?

This is what I am running for speakers....click

Yes, all cables are in the wall...No cables are visible....I got a bulk cable hole where it all comes out and into the receiver. The TV is mounted above the fireplace and the center channel is under it on the mantle.

These are the mids....

http://www.polkaudio.com/images/home/medium/cherry/monitor40.jpg

These are the rears

http://www.polkaudio.com/images/home/medium/black/lsifx.jpg

Center

http://www.polkaudio.com/images/home/small/csi3.jpg

This is the sub

http://www.polkaudio.com/images/global/psw125nogrill.jpg

No pic of the towers w/subs...