Alignment guys...HELP!

Boost-n-Juice

OK, I'm at my wits end here.

The car - '05 Maxima

The Wheels - 18" ADR's wrapped with 245/50's "Performance Style tire" (stock rim/tire size)

1st problem...The steering wheel shakes at speeds of 60-70mph but at anything above or below is smooth. The car itself never shakes and is always silky smooth. Some times the shake @ 60-70mph is sporadic and some times will go away if you accelerate or decelerate.

2nd problem...the car wanders the road if it's un-even, transitions to bridges or any kind of groove in the road it tries to pull either way.

There is no play in the steering and nothing feels loose.

It has been aligned front and back by Nissan, tires balanced/rotated on a top of line roadforce machine. They claim the car is with-in spec, including the tires/rims.

Nissan plays the "it's your aftermarket tires and rims" card.

Ideas? Can you recommend a good shop to take a look at it? I'm sick of paying an arm and leg @ Nissan, just to get no where!

Guest 614Streets

These are always alot of fun to diagnose but Ive delt with this problem alot.

Belive it or not there is a whole myriad of things to check and yes its tedious.

If you'd like I can set you up with my work , we have an alignment rack and I will spend the time finding the problem.

The myraid begins with everything from the rotors, and pads, the cv shafts ,struts ,tires , mounts etc. Sometimes it a real bitch to diagnose so I wouldnt throw too much disgust towards the techs at nissan.

OK, I'm at my wits end here.

The car - '05 Maxima

The Wheels - 18" ADR's wrapped with 245/50's "Performance Style tire" (stock rim/tire size)

1st problem...The steering wheel shakes at speeds of 60-70mph but at anything above or below is smooth. The car itself never shakes and is always silky smooth. Some times the shake @ 60-70mph is sporadic and some times will go away if you accelerate or decelerate.

Wheel balance issue.

2nd problem...the car wanders the road if it's un-even, transitions to bridges or any kind of groove in the road it tries to pull either way.

Wider tires will pull you harder in the road's grooves. While this may be an alignment issue, I doubt it.

There is no play in the steering and nothing feels loose.

It has been aligned front and back by Nissan, tires balanced/rotated on a top of line roadforce machine. They claim the car is with-in spec, including the tires/rims.

Doesn't seem likely.

Nissan plays the "it's your aftermarket tires and rims" card.

Ideas? Can you recommend a good shop to take a look at it? I'm sick of paying an arm and leg @ Nissan, just to get no where!

PM me.

After some research on a Maxima forum the shimmy/shaking in the steering wheel is a know problem. I also discovered while searching the forum that the factory Goodyear RS-A's were recalled for cracking.

I called Goodyear and ended up with a brand new set of RS-A's for free. Problems solved.

The only thing I can think of is the aggressive tread pattern of the aftermarket tires were too much for the car's suspension/steering.

After some research on a Maxima forum the shimmy/shaking in the steering wheel is a know problem. I also discovered while searching the forum that the factory Goodyear RS-A's were recalled for cracking.

I called Goodyear and ended up with a brand new set of RS-A's for free. Problems solved.

The only thing I can think of is the aggressive tread pattern of the aftermarket tires were too much for the car's suspension/steering.

do you have any info on the Recall?

Goodyear RS-A with a date of 3104 and earlier. If one of your 4 tires have the cracking on the sidewall, then they will replace all 4. On the side of the tire look for DOT and then you will see the date. In this case, 31 being the 31st day of 2004. Mine were actually 20 days past (5104) but I called Goodyear and they authorized the local dealer to replace them at no cost.