Thats my car.....

V8 Beast

It looks like a Scion and a Celica. Selica or Cion?

That was my first thought. Doesn't necessarily mean it looks bad though, but you can definately see the lines from the celica starting from the doors to the rear tail lights, and the scion'ish front end. I wouldn't be suprised if it was released under the Scion name rather than Toyota. As long as I can have a lightweight, cheap RWD car from Toyota, I will be elated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh godd its hard with that line up.

Knowing i would not want to ruin the warranty I would have to say GT-r

If warranty was not a factor, ZR-1 or camaro

Thorne, if you can afford a 80K-100K car, you can afford to mod it and say fuck you to the warranty. :nono: Fuck the ZR-1, LS7>LS9

My top 3 are:

Camaro

GT-R

ZR1

Of the three it's hard to decide. If I didn't have to worry about cost, I'd go with the top-end GT-R. Lots of power, less weight (than the base model), and an AWD system.

But if cost matters, then the Camaro. It's a sharp looking car and it will be passable as a DD.

If what they say actually comes true, the new AE86:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/07/ae86_bc_03.jpg

There's talk that it will have a 150hp high revving motor in a lightweight chassis UNDER 2300 lbs, OH and did I mention RWD? There's talk of it hitting the showroom end of 2008, but I'm still very, very skeptical since a lot of the specs are vague, but price is to be listed right around 16k too.

I pretty sure the engine is from Subaru. Should make for a good low center of gravity and better weight distribution than you'd expect in a car like that. If we see it here, I'd be very interested in it. Maybe a few years down the road when there's a used market, it might be worth picking one up as a track toy. If Toyota hits the pricing goal I heard of <$20,000, I wouldn't be suprised if a Spec class is started for them.

EDIT: Found the article I read. http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C13437/ It's a 1.5L H4 and it is using a chopped Legacy chassis. AWD conversions shouldn't be difficult.

Audi for me, it's the only one that goes in a 'new' direction.

Challenger is a pig, and there isn't much aftermarket support.

Camaro looks cool and all, but once you see 1000 of them everyday like the new retro Mustangs, it's appeal will fade fast and it'll look more and more like a fat rubbermaid tub of crap.

Nissan, like others have pointed out looks too much like a G.

Toyota, meh, it's just a concept and not that appealing anyways.

ZR-1 will be a badass car i just don't like the fact they are supercharging it, the ZR1 should be all motor, a crazy motor like a V10 LSx

From the original post, I would like to say Toyota but I know that they will either fuck it up or won't even release it. Which means I would say Challenger. I've always been a Mopar fan.

With the addition of the new AE86, I was going to say that until I saw that it was half Subaru. I have a broken WRX in my garage telling me to never buy another Subaru product, even if it's wearing Toyota skin. Now, if it ends up being 100% Toyota, then it might be my next vehicle instead of another Tacoma.

Just did a quick google search.

The picture of the AE86 posted here says the engine is a 2NZ-FE. According to Wikipedia (which I only trust because I checked other links) That engine is a 1.3L that puts out 85 HP and 89 ft·lbft of torque.

So, according to that flyer, it's a Toyota engine rather than a Subaru, putting out far less power than also said here.

Unless there are any press releases out, I wouldn't trust any rumors about this car.

The picture of the AE86 posted here says the engine is a 2NZ-FE. According to Wikipedia (which I only trust because I checked other links) That engine is a 1.3L that puts out 85 HP and 89 ft·lbft of torque.

So, according to that flyer, it's a Toyota engine rather than a Subaru, putting out far less power than also said here.

Unless there are any press releases out, I wouldn't trust any rumors about this car.

Interesting.. THough the specs in the pictures above do say 120ps which is 119hp. So it's probably an upgraded version of that engine.

As for Subaru, I'm sorry you're having issues. But overall, Subarus are very reliable. And frankly, I'd love to see a Subaru engine under that hood, if for the simple reason that it'd be easier to swap in a larger displacement turbocharged engine.

EDIT: Oops, 120ps. Also of note, according to that flyer it's 1.5L also

That's why I'm so skeptical about the car being put into production anyways. I've done my fair share of research and I've exhausted just about every path of information. 2NZ-FE makes much less than 150, yet they claim the new AE86 will put out nearly 150hp, contradiction? I've read plenty about the Subaru drivetrain being used, which isnt necessarily bad.. as long as the powerplant is still 100% Toyota, IMO. I'm curious to see where it goes, if anywhere.. but it does have my interest.

Interesting.. THough the specs in the pictures above do say 120ps which is 119hp. So it's probably an upgraded version of that engine.

As for Subaru, I'm sorry you're having issues. But overall, Subarus are very reliable. And frankly, I'd love to see a Subaru engine under that hood, if for the simple reason that it'd be easier to swap in a larger displacement turbocharged engine.

EDIT: Oops, 120ps. Also of note, according to that flyer it's 1.5L also

I'm not going to drag out all the problems I've had with my WRX here, I don't have the energy to type that much.

The flyer says 1.5L. The flyer also says 2NZ-FE, which is a 1.3L

2NZ-FE /= 1.5L

This tells me the flyer is a fake. Toyota wouldn't change the displacement of an engine without giving it a new engine designation. I could see them using a 1.5L, and I could possibly even see it being 150 HP. But it wouldn't be the engine they listed. This simply doesn't add up. Plus, Wikipedia claims the 2NZ is a JDM engine, not a USDM, which means we would probably end up with something completely different anyway.

Also, why would Toyota bother using anything Subaru? This car will be RWD, right? Subaru only seems to know AWD. Toyota is a master of I4's, why would they look for a small displacement engine from Subaru, unless they were going to turbo it from the factory?

Also, why would Toyota bother using anything Subaru? This car will be RWD, right? Subaru only seems to know AWD. Toyota is a master of I4's, why would they look for a small displacement engine from Subaru, unless they were going to turbo it from the factory?

Well, I can see this for a few reasons. First, Toyota owns a good portion of Subaru now. Second, subaru and Toyota are already sharing production facilities. One being the plant in Indiana, which makes the Legacy, Outback, Tribeca, and Camry, and it's possible this car is based on the Legacy platform.

The big reason why I can see this is the shape of the car. There's very little hood length. For a RWD car you want a longitudinal drivetrain, not transverse. An H4 is a considerably shorter engine in that arrangement than an I4 would be.

But whatever the engine, if Toyota delivers a 2500lb RWD car for around 17K it'll fill an empty niche and probably sell really well, *especially* if they put a white AE86 in the commercials. :p

There's been articles about a small RWD Subaru sports car, other articles about the Subaru/Toyota joint car, and articles about Toyota working on an AE86 sucessor. There's *something* coming in the next couple years from Toybaru. Whatever it is, I think it'll be worth a close look.

Well, I can see this for a few reasons. First, Toyota owns a good portion of Subaru now. Second, subaru and Toyota are already sharing production facilities. One being the plant in Indiana, which makes the Legacy, Outback, Tribeca, and Camry, and it's possible this car is based on the Legacy platform.

I was unaware of all that. Got link?

the new challenger, like all dodge vehicles, looks like 200 lbs of bird shit.

the camaro looks nice, but id like to see it on the road. it seems like theyre taking forever to get it on the road. id also like to see what the base models actually look like. the 22s on the concept prrrobably wont make it to production.

I like the GT500 KR super snake honestly. Not crazy about the Camaro, the Challanger is nice, and the ZR-1 would be like finding a paper plate in a snow storm. GT500 looks kinda menacing to me honestly. Yup, I'm a traitor :p

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/xl007-1024.jpg

*I'm a closet mustang lover*

Oh +1 for the vert!