Help with cooling system

BlackMess

I have a 2002 dodge ram 4.7 Truck has around 73,000 miles on it and ive noticed lately that it has been leaking coolant out of the tube on the overflow reservoir. Ive also noticed the tailpipe smoking when i shut the truck off some times if I dont let it warm up enough. Oil cap had brownish/ goop on it at last oil change. Does this sound like a head gasket problem or could it just need a cap, thermostat and flush? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could always do the flush, etc, it certainly won't hurt. Also, you could check your spark plugs, look for a white residue on the porcelain near the electrode, that will tell you if there is a cylinder burning coolant. You could also do a compression check, but if it isn't running bad that might be inconclusive. Also, when it's cold, take the cap of the overflow and run the engine at higher than idle and check for any bubbling. This would indicate combustion gases leaking through the head gasket. You didn't mention if any coolant came out with the oil when it was changed, I am assuming not since you didn't mention it.

dodge trucks are also known for intake gaskets. this time of year there will prolly be more condinsation which would explane the smoke out of the exhaust and the brown on the oil cap. best thing to do is get a block tester from NAPA, its a blue liquid that when you suck the fumes out of the coolant will change color if there is exhaust gas present in the coolant and then that would narrow you down to a head gasket.