and in this corner...

Sturg1647545502

ok the suby got totaled, dont worry about it. some bia on the freeway..so on and so on.

SO far we are in for either the Mazda 3 speed or a 06 or newer wrx.(2.5)

This is going to be a daily driver with some fun on the side. No mods real mods are being done. bolt ons to free up some air maybe, a chip. and a sweet new wing(hahahhaha..not really)

Pro on the wrx

06 and up now have the 2.5.

smaller turbo, lower boost, more reactive and more fun to drive.

Infamous 40x60 all wheel drive that subaru has and toyota bought

better suspension

cons

Squishy gearbox with possible linkage issues

lack of top end power

08s look like shit so that only leaves it to an 06 or 07

interior is suspect looking

subaru scrimped on the wrx? STI is where the money is?

Mazda3 speed

Pro

Mazda reliability?(con #1)

Cheaper base price with more interior packages and options

car and driver had the mazda over the wrx

more bhp

better 1/4mi time

faster 0-60

shorter brake time

cons

New to the non rotery turbo game

all wheel drive isnt really allwheel (power to the front wheels, then gradually shifting to the rear)

fist gen of anything could be bad.

what do ya think

as a former suby guy its hard to get away from the wrx, but the mazda isnt looking to bad. i havent driven the mazda yet

im going to eat some chilli and watche the rest of the browns game. QUIN MIGHT PLAY!

ps why we arnt looking at an evo, this is going to be my dads car. he wants a wagon/hatch for DD practicality.

Only thing I see wrong in your list is that the Mazdaspeed3 isn't AWD at all. It's FWD, all the time. If you want AWD you'll have to step up to the Mazdaspeed6.

My dad has the Mazdaspeed3, and the few times I've driven it have given me nothing to complain about. I've never driven a WRX to compare it to though.

I would buy any mazda over a subaru any day; Let me elaborate a little.

The engineering and quality of mazda vehicles is much better than a lot of cars, including subaru. Also, for what mazda is worth, their cars all have a huge fun factor. Subaru in my opinion is just another car with AWD, nothing spectacular or outstanding in any area, IMO. Buy a mazda, you'll be happy you spent less money on something that gives back 3x its cost in fun and reliability.

For what its worth, my brothers protoge 5 wagon is a slow turd but its such a fun car to drive regardless. Its an 03 with 124,xxx and has had no problems with it, and it runs like a top. I did manage to walk an older 325i Beemer once with it, so its got some balls.

I'd say hold off until you've driven both cars. If anything feels uncomfortable about either, then it's not for you. Buying a car is one of the bigger decisions you make in your life so why be lackadaisical about it. Test drive anything and everything that interests him.

Completely off topic, but did you buy the car back? I need some wrx body parts if you have anything.

the insurace hasent gotten back to us yet, but i doubt well buy it back.

Naturally he wont buy anything w/o taking each for a spin.

Im starting to read more and more personal accounts taht agree with drew. although i dont agree that subaru is just another awd car im starting to see the fun factor with mazda.

Someone had a mazda with less than 5k mi on the clock, $3000 underpriced, a few hundered miles away that we are looking at.

either way

i was trying to get him into a lotus elise. used for only 25,000! but i guess ill just have to buy it:rolleyes:

The engineering and quality of mazda vehicles is much better than a lot of cars, including subaru. Also, for what mazda is worth, their cars all have a huge fun factor. Subaru in my opinion is just another car with AWD, nothing spectacular or outstanding in any area, IMO. Buy a mazda, you'll be happy you spent less money on something that gives back 3x its cost in fun and reliability.

For what its worth, my brothers protoge 5 wagon is a slow turd but its such a fun car to drive regardless. Its an 03 with 124,xxx and has had no problems with it, and it runs like a top. I did manage to walk an older 325i Beemer once with it, so its got some balls.

Simple physics says, your opinion is about a valued as a moldey ham sandwhich.

I only pick the WRX in this situation because I don't like the Mazdaspeed 3, the regular car for what I would want it for would be a better choice. Most of the autocrossers are sticking to the regular 3 and I don't see the road racers moving to the mazdaspeed as well, but who knows.

Huh?

umm? you do realize that that the pro5 and 3 share nothing right?

Also I would take the suby over the 3.

Other than the fact it's still Mazda engineering..

and by Mazda you mean Volvo/Ford right Since mazda is using/sharing the platform that Volvo designed for the s40 and UK focus. The Pro5 was the last small car Mazda designed inhouse.