97 monte carlo z34 tranny problem

clk1

i just bought a winter car, it is a 97 monte carlo z34 and just with in a week the tranny is having issues, it runs at 3000 rpm at 65mph, then when i let out of the gas it drops down to 1500 and when i get back into the gas it jumps right up to 3000. its like it is not shifting into another gear, any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Is the SES light coming on? I had a 3.4 Grand Prix and sometimes the TC wouldn't lock up, and the light would come on. Also, you could count how many times the trans. shifts (should be 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-TC lockup). Maybe it's not going into OD, or the TC isn't locking up.

Well, to get it fixed, it could be more than what the car is worth. Seriously. You can either pull the motor out and replace the TC, or drop the trans from the bottom along with the cradle to replace the TC.

Now.. what can go out next? The whole trans. If it starts banging gears real hard it's done. Either rebuild the whole trans or get a junkyard one.

Labor? Roughly looking between $700 and $2000. That's just a guess though. The shop in Michigan who did mine charged me $700 just to drop it.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Dave. If it has any miles on it and you already have it all torn apart, it might not be a bad idea to just have it gone through. Also, when I had all of the issues with mine, I remember reading that the TC issue was fairly common in these transmissions.