Turbo Saturn dyno results

tristanlee85

I had great pleasure today working with Brian and the crew at Dyno Tune Motorsports. There really isn't much to say other than I hit my goal of 250whp and I don't think I need to be going any higher if I want to keep this engine together.

Here are some specs on the car:

Stock 97 DOHC engine (9.5:1)

Custom log manifold

KKK K26 turbo (~.50ar/.73ar)

2" IC piping

2.5" open downpipe

MegaSquirt controlling fuel and spark

42lb/hr injectors

Walbro 225lph fuel pump

94 octane pump gas

I think that's about it. I don't know what else is important.

http://www.allash.com/Dyno.jpg

Video: http://www.tsnhosting.net/tristanlee85/dyno/17psi_pull-262whp-272wtq.mpeg (11.6MB)

3rd gear pull (1.207:1 ratio)

Thank you again Brian and the rest of your crew. You've definitely got my future business!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you beat me to it.

Here are both graphs from both cars today. Thank you again for your business and let me know if I can be of any more help in the future.

http://24.26.129.28:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/Bill%20Saturn.jpg

http://24.26.129.28:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/Tristan.jpg

Congratz thats a potent little saturn. Wanna roll sometime ?

How does your car compare to a softly modded STI? I went up against one not too long ago. All he had was an aftermarket turbo manifold. Though he definitely got me off the line, I was ahead of him in the end.

Is yours an STI? I don't know anything about cars other than mine.

How does your car compare to a softly modded STI? I went up against one not too long ago. All he had was an aftermarket turbo manifold. Though he definitely got me off the line, I was ahead of him in the end.

I'm not an STI .

Last dyno

280awhp

BEFORE NEW PARTS

BTW a properly tuned up/down STI should put you in a world of hurt. Driver Gasket?

:bs:

12.0 a/f with only 4-6psi is not bad at all....you're fine.

Thats a very very generic statement

Timing + AFR + Boost + temp = what knock

Thats all I was saying. I agree 100% lean is mean. BUT a tank of bad gas could be bad.

Thats all I was saying. I agree 100% lean is mean. BUT a tank of bad gas could be bad.

I agree a tank of bad gas and you could be in a world of hurt! If there is not too much timing in the motor then it could be alright.

I'm not an STI .

Last dyno

280awhp

BEFORE NEW PARTS

BTW a properly tuned up/down STI should put you in a world of hurt. Driver Gasket?

Properly tuned and I believe it. I didn't know this guy personally. Only enough to know what was done and that's all that was mentioned.

My friend's car (not the one I dyno'd with) made 276whp. Granted he can drive 100% better than me and has slicks, and gutted a bit, ran 11.809 @ 116.488mph. Though there is no way could I compete with that, at 2410lbs, I wouldn't be that bad.

Not trying to start a BS flag-throwing contest. Just stating the facts I know and my theories.

I agree a tank of bad gas and you could be in a world of hurt! If there is not too much timing in the motor then it could be alright.

Off the top of my head I don't remember what it was where you guys are talking about, but 165kpa and up is 25* @ ~4000 to 28* @ 6000.

The load associated with 4-6 psi @ 3500-400 on a 9.5:1 dohc shouldn't require sub 12.0:1 ratios. Keep in mind flame speed is peak @ 13:1, further you move away from it in either direction, slower the flame gets. The compressor is most likely in a post 65% efficiency range while the turbine isn't a chokepoint and most likely climbing in efficieny as the PR is nearing 2:1 with the log manifold.

Usually best power/safety is found with a lambda of 1.0 @ 80kPa (stoich), .92 @ 85kPa (13.5:1), .86 @ 90kPa (12.6:1), .81 lambda @ 120kPa (11.9:1)

Tristan - what do your intake temps look like as I ASSume you are running Speed Density? I would work on maintaining 11.9-11.5:1 until redline IF your setup isn't producing a large intake temp spike or your car isn't running a cat(s).

Thats about what my SRT-4 ran timing wise up top...

I would be cautious with comparing timing #s as one could assume large differences in head design, squish, quench, compression, lamda, etc. Best to make a few pulls and let power/EGT tell you what she likes and verify with a standard knock sensor if the option is available.