value of a gran national

yellowsnake

http://www.buickgnx.com is a fairly good site that breaks down the differences between a GN and GNX, biggest ones off the top of my head were: 16in wheels, fend flares, Stewart Warner dash with "real" gauges (stock GN is a joke), different transmission peices, Ceramic turbo, better intercooler, "true" dual exhaust (GN had on muffler w/2 inlets/outlets, GNX had 2 mufflers) and the biggest difference was the rear suspension. Instead of the standard G-body rear suspension the GN got a nifty and very funtional ladder bar rear suspension that made launching the car easier as it basically forced the rear tires into the ground, when one launches the rear end lifts up adding more force to the tires.

what turbo are you running now? I need to get a new one and everyone on the buick boards is raving about the DBB 6776, problem is it is about $1300 new. :(

The 6776 is a decent turbo, great power and potential. Just gotta ask yourself how far you want to go. 10's are nice but alot of factors start coming into play when you reach that level. Do you want to port your heads, girdle the block, change the stall converter so that it will spool, and do what is needed at that level to stay reliable? For me that answer was not now but maybe later, in the mean time I went with the TE-44 and it is a fantastic turbo. Near stock spool (get a good manual boost controller, I doubted but now am a believer, RJC makes a good one), hits hard under boost and does not fall flat on top like my stocker seemed to do, it is just a solid performing turbo and has been around for years and proven reliable. It also had enough in it to hit low-mid 11's and some have seen high 10's but that is pushing that turbo hard and out of its efficiency range (upwards of 30 psi) it likes to be around 23-27, most run 25 with good gas or alcohol injection. I got my TE44 for a little over $700 new from PTE, but a solid rebuilt used one can be found cheaper and will work just as well. I am eyeing the new BB GT6131E though, they are calling it this generations TE44 since is a great upgrade from stock without needing a bigger stall, and it will make more power vs the 44.

The 6776 is a decent turbo, great power and potential. Just gotta ask yourself how far you want to go. 10's are nice but alot of factors start coming into play when you reach that level. Do you want to port your heads, girdle the block, change the stall converter so that it will spool, and do what is needed at that level to stay reliable?

I have ported heads, ported intake, pt52 turbo, ebay headers, 3 in dp, MBC, 3400 stall, re-built tranny from janis, 50lbs MSD injectors.

I think i have everything but a decent turbo. Mine is pretty well trashed from the slag of the china/ebay headers, oh well live and learn i guess.

Hmm, then the 6776 may be the way to go, but I would be weary of the headers, if they took out your PT52 then whats to say they won't take out the next turbo? I have heard of alot of guys running those but I am still not conviced to throw those on. I would rather spend more and get a set of these http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_33&products_id=733&osCsid=b62758fefe9713b3c8a6d6e4f396fba0

Hmm, then the 6776 may be the way to go, but I would be weary of the headers, if they took out your PT52 then whats to say they won't take out the next turbo? I have heard of alot of guys running those but I am still not conviced to throw those on. I would rather spend more and get a set of these http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_33&products_id=733&osCsid=b62758fefe9713b3c8a6d6e4f396fba0

we had to pull the headers off to re-seal the passenger side and we did a alot of work cleaning them up and taking out all the rest of the slag. They are good headers as long as your are careful and know a good welder ;)