Ammo $$ going up

Scotty2Hotty

I guess it's the lack of raw materials being shipped into the US is causing the increase of ammunition prices. I think last I remembered 12 Guage 00 Buck was $17 something for a box, I think it was up to $21ish. .40 S&W seemed to go up a few bucks aswell. Think I'll just go buy a case of every caliber I own with my tax return.

Yea, I was just at WM the other day getting some.

.380 WWB went from like $21/100 => $25+/100

.40 WWBwent from like $22/100 => $26+/100

.22 Federal 550rd. bulk pack was like $9.88, it went to $11.47.

It's getting fucking ridiculous. I have a feeling my tax return is going to be buying me a Dillon Super1050. :D

how much is it 4 a reloading set

Depends on what you want to do, how much, and how fast.

You can get a basic Lee Classic press kit for like $150-250 (can't remember exactly). You load one rd. at a time, and it's not very fast. If you shoot low volume, this is fine.

1. Deprime 100 rd.

2. clean cases if you choose.

3. Prime 100

4. Measure out powder for each case

5. Load, seat and crimp each rd.

If you want to do high volume (I do :D ) you can opt for a turret press, or even faster, a progressive press.

I plan on going with a Dillon Super1050 press, which is about $1500, plus all the other necessities that go along with it. So, I'll more than likely have $2,500+ in it when all is said in done. This is top of the line though, and you in no way NEED to spend anywhere close to that to start reloading.

I'm going this route because I plan on reloading a metric shit ton of ammo for myself. The more you load, the more you get to shoot. :cool:

Dillon's Super1050 in stock configuration is said to spit out 1,000-1,200rd/hr. There's a company that makes a bullet feeder for it which I'd like to add. So essentially, if I can figure out a way to put a pneumatic cylinder on the handle (shouldn't be too hard), it'd have a fully automatic reloading machine, probably capable of loading 1,800+rd/hr.

-Feed it cases

-Feed it bullets

-Feed it primer

-Feed it powder

-Turn it on

-Go have a sammich.

:D

Take a look on Midwayusa.com in the reloading section to get an idea on prices.

BTW, just for further info and triple post purposes, I figured out the cost to reload .223 in the cheapest configuration I could come up with.

Buying all new components = $0.34/rd. Roughly.

Cases were like $.17/ea. So, if you collect your brass, you could cut your 2nd+ batch down to $.17/rd. That's $170/1000rd. of Remington cased, FMJ range ammo. NOT BAD AT ALL!

Cheapest pre-made ammo I could find was Wolf for something like $200/1000, and that shit is steel cased, berden primed (can't reload it), and fucking sucks.

Cheapest brass cased, boxer primed FMJ I could find was like $425/1000. So, even if you buy all new components, you're still making out pretty good, not even considering the additional savings if you collect your brass.

Reloading FTW!

Ammo in just about any caliber has been going up pretty steady over the past few years. Most complain it is a result of the strain the war has put on ammo makers to produce ammo for the government plus keep up with the private market. But that is normally what happens during a war. I wonder if the prices of ammo at Wal-Mart was effected by the 10-30% prices cuts they announced yesterday.

I would not load to sell. That is a MAJOR liability if something goes wrong. I cartridge w/ missing powder, and a noob shooter = gun blowing up!

Just my opinion though.....

KillJoy

True. In reality, I'd probably only deal with folks I knew.....if I do it at all. I might just horde it all for myself. :p

i see, wonder what this would do 2 a coyote in 30-06 form

Probably nothing. I've heard that flesh isn't hard enough to ignite it. And if it does, it doesn't slow down enough to cause damage to the person. i.e. it won't explode until after it exits the body.

:( That's no fun.

Though I have been wanting to try some of Barnes Varmint Grenades on a prairie dog or coyote. :D