Nearly 8 years later, it turns out that The Onion was right all along

Harb67

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28784

Look at the date: January 17, 2001

Sort of funny that the plucky news parody site was probably the most accurate with its predictions over most of the major 'real' news outlets :p

""We as a people must stand united, banding together to tear this nation in two," Bush said. "Much work lies ahead of us: The gap between the rich and the poor may be wide, be there's much more widening left to do. We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent. And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it.""

Check, check, and...check. And a lot more checks throughout the article.

I can't see that Bush is solely responsible for the failure we are presently in. A highly respectable LEO has told me that this nation would have been in a drastic amount of turmoil if it were not for some of the national security policies that Bush has inacted over the past 8 yrs. I am not talking about economic troubles, I am talking about lives of people. Our president had less than 9 months before he had to deal with a major national threat. That threat has never dissapeared nor has it been eliminated. The country is still not off of the hit list. Daily this nation is walking around with a target on it's back.

We reap what we sow. That's for a fact. Our country is reaping the harvest that has been planted in the government over the last decade if not more. Clinton's administration is solely responsible for creating the China problem which has been sucking the blood out of the country. We have slit our own wrists and we are just watching them bleed. We can't stop shopping at Wal-Mart anymore cause we are all broke. 10 yrs. ago maybe we could have, but now it's a bit late. That along w/ our tendency to live above our means.

My opinion is Congress needs to be cleaned out. Time to hit eject. They aren't doing the checks and balances that they were created for.

I can't see that Bush is solely responsible for the failure we are presently in. A highly respectable LEO has told me that this nation would have been in a drastic amount of turmoil if it were not for some of the national security policies that Bush has inacted over the past 8 yrs.

:wtf: Bush opposed Homeland Security for almost a year after 9/11. Bush didn't ENact anything - he was pushed to enact things. Bush is a huge flip flopper.

http://www.perrspectives.com/features/Bush10Flips.htm

Our president had less than 9 months before he had to deal with a major national threat. That threat has never dissapeared nor has it been eliminated. The country is still not off of the hit list. Daily this nation is walking around with a target on it's back.

So the way I look at it, he's had 7 years and 3 months to eliminate the threat - epic fail there. Instead, this administration uses fear to get things done. There will ALWAYS be terrorists and no matter what "safeguards" are in place - the safeguards will only serve to take privacy away from the public and head us further into a police state (probably a good thing for job security for your LEO friend). Where there's a will, there's a way - terrorism won't stop. The most powerful men in the world can't stop bombs and bullets.

Clinton's administration is solely responsible for creating the China problem which has been sucking the blood out of the country. We have slit our own wrists and we are just watching them bleed. We can't stop shopping at Wal-Mart anymore cause we are all broke. 10 yrs. ago maybe we could have, but now it's a bit late.

Where'd that rant come from? Clinton is solely responsible? I'd give you a little slack if you said Mexico (because of NAFTA), but you said China. Explain how Clinton is solely responsible for whatever it is you're claiming he's responsible for? And after you get done with that, if Clinton was solely responsible, why couldn't Bush be solely responsible for fixing it?

That along w/ our tendency to live above our means.

I can agree with you there.

My opinion is Congress needs to be cleaned out. Time to hit eject. They aren't doing the checks and balances that they were created for.

That's a Bush thing... Alberto Gonzales scandal, Dick Cheney and his free reign of power... the checks and balances were lost in THIS administration. Are you not aware of the state of Congress? The democrats finally gained "control" of congress in 2006, but still can't get anything done because the old republican codgers still in office can filibuster and stall efforts to get things done because the democrats, even though they have control, don't have overriding majority.

Edited by JRMMiii

So the way I look at it, he's had 7 years and 3 months to eliminate the threat - epic fail there. Instead, this administration uses fear to get things done. There will ALWAYS be terrorists and no matter what "safeguards" are in place - the safeguards will only serve to take privacy away from the public and head us further into a police state (probably a good thing for job security for your LEO friend). Where there's a will, there's a way - terrorism won't stop. The most powerful men in the world can't stop bombs and bullets.

Where'd that rant come from? Clinton is solely responsible? I'd give you a little slack if you said Mexico (because of NAFTA), but you said China. Explain how Clinton is solely responsible for whatever it is you're claiming he's responsible for?

And after you get done with that, if Clinton was solely responsible, why couldn't Bush be solely responsible for fixing it?

I can agree with you there.

That's a Bush thing... Alberto Gonzales scandal, Dick Cheney and his free reign of power... the checks and balances were lost in THIS administration. Are you not aware of the state of Congress? The democrats finally gained "control" of congress in 2006, but still can't get anything done because the old republican codgers still in office can filibuster and stall efforts to get things done because the democrats, even though they have control, don't have overriding majority.

I am not too sure that the LEO I talked to was all concerned with the security of his job as much as he was with the safety of his loved ones and family. Yeah, his paycheck is very important to him, but I believe he was truely talking about the security of the public and places of risk in the country.

Clinton's admin was responsible for opening free trade with China, correct?

I can't tell you why Bush hasn't been able to eliminate the threats entirely, but I think you explained that pretty good in your response.

I also agree with your statement about stopping bombs and bullets. The most powerful men in the world can't stop them and the road that lies ahead for Obama is going to be a truth teller for diplomacy.

Congress isn't working properly. Democrat or Republican majority isn't the answer. A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand.

:wtf: Bush opposed Homeland Security for almost a year after 9/11. Bush didn't ENact anything - he was pushed to enact things. Bush is a huge flip flopper.

http://www.perrspectives.com/features/Bush10Flips.htm

I will admit I've not seen all of this before. I cannot judge a man for having a change of heart or mind. Let God be the judge in all things.

I change my mind everyday, although I strive to do so only based on truth. (it be hard to find) I bet this kind of flip-flop can be dug-up on just about any gov. official. Hu?

Clinton's admin was responsible for opening free trade with China, correct?

No, not free trade, Normal Trade relations and begin processes for China to become a WTO member, which was done on 12/11/01.

Source: http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Bill_Clinton_Free_Trade.htm Spur reforms via PNTR and China in WTO

After 13 years of negotiations, the Administration concluded a landmark agreement for China’s entry into the World Trade Organization. China agreed to grant the U.S. significant new access to its rapidly growing market of over one billion people, while we have agreed simply to maintain the market access policies we already apply to China by granting it permanent Normal Trade Relations. The U.S.-China agreement slashes Chinese tariffs on American goods; opens China’s markets to American services, and contains safeguards against unfair trading practices. China’s membership in the WTO will spur economic reforms in China, open China to information and ideas from around the world, and strengthen the rule of law in China.The Administration [also] secured commitments from Asian Pacific nations to eliminate barriers to open trade in the region by 2020 for developing countries and 2010 for industrialized countries. Over the next two years, 15 sectors will be identified for tariff reductions.

Source: WhiteHouse.gov web site Jul 2, 2000

Fair trade will liberalize China

Fair trade among free markets does more than simply enrich America; it enriches all partners to each transaction. It raises consumer demand for our products worldwide; encourages investment & growth; lifts people out of poverty & ignorance; increases understanding; and helps dispel long-held hatreds. That’s why we have worked so hard to help build free-market institutions in Eastern Europe, Russia, and the former Soviet republics. That’s why we have supported commercial liberalization in China-the world’s fastest-growing market. Just as democracy helps make the world safe for commerce, commerce helps make the world safe for democracy. It’s a two-way street. In the coming years, we must continue to negotiate to lower trade barriers and insist that our trade partners play by fair trading rules. As we continue to work to open new markets, we must ensure the protection of our workers & our environment, as well as seek to advance labor and improve environmental conditions in developing countries.

If clinton fucked us why was there nothing really wrong with the country? Employment rates were up, war was down, economy was booming, america wasn't being attacked (not saying that is bush's fault). As far as I am concerened Bush will go down in history as one of if not the worst president, and probably dumbest. Ivy leauge education my ass.