Subara WRX scholars unite

Miller

My friend has an 04 bugeye and we are about to mod it in the next two weeks. His stock turbo took a shit so I sold him on the cheap an extra 60trim garret turbo I had laying around. What I need to know is what parts - in order to make more power - are going to be necessary to support this new and enlarged turbo? We will have the money to shop on Friday for what we need (though this build is limited to a certain amount of money). We have our exhaust worked out and our tune, so what else is there? Are there limits to the IC I should know, the injectors, the fuel pump? Let me know anything you can share. I know nothing of these cars, I'm just ripping it apart and putting it together and he is handing me his debit card to shop with.

Thanks

EDIT - This turbo is externally wastegated as well, are the stockers internal or external?

if he has an 04, its not a bugeye.

you should definately invest in bigger injectors. the ic will flow it, but it will heat up pretty quick. honestly, no insult intended, but you probably should have your friend do due diligence before he hands you (someone who admittedly doesnt know whats up with these cars) his debit card. just sayin man.

Bugeyes were only 02-03. Stock turbos had internal WGs.

I'm not familiar with the 60-trim compared to, say a 20G, so I'm not sure exactly what will be needed. However, if it's much bigger than stock, you'll want an upgraded fuel pump (walboro 255) and injectors. If it's a big turbo and you're going to be pumping a lot of fuel, you may want to look into new fuel rails. The stock rails are a serial design, so the last cylinder can go lean under certain conditions. A parallel arrangement is preferable for high fuel needs.

If that turbo is bigger than a 20G, it's going to be strangled by the stock TMIC. A FMIC is reccomended once you go with a big (and hot) snail. ANd if you go FMIC, you'll need an Intake. The stock aribox is good for up to 350-400awhp, but the FMIC piping usualy requires an intake. And as long as you're digging in there, you might want to research the TGV delete mod.

Your buddy WILL grenade his tranny eventually. The WRX tranny is just able to handle the stock power. Much more and you'll turn it into confetti, ask Thorne.

pretty sure that turbo would need a rotated set-up, no?

is this a t3/t4 style?

imo, give him the money back and take the turbo. He should check out nasioc.com and find any vf series turbo (vf39 can be cheap) and it is pretty much a direct replacement. He will only need injectors, fuel pump, up-pipe (recommended) and a tune.

Maybe we can trade the turbo for something smaller - to someone looking to go a step up from where they are currently sitting. I respect and appreciate everyones opinion. We did not intend to throw a beast turbo on this car and crank it up, just merely to give him something that would get the car running again. Something capable of some power that leaves him the large amount of room he wanted to have in order to grow later down the road as his finances allow.

My friend has an 04 bugeye and we are about to mod it in the next two weeks. His stock turbo took a shit so I sold him on the cheap an extra 60trim garret turbo I had laying around. What I need to know is what parts - in order to make more power - are going to be necessary to support this new and enlarged turbo? We will have the money to shop on Friday for what we need (though this build is limited to a certain amount of money). We have our exhaust worked out and our tune, so what else is there? Are there limits to the IC I should know, the injectors, the fuel pump? Let me know anything you can share. I know nothing of these cars, I'm just ripping it apart and putting it together and he is handing me his debit card to shop with.

Thanks

EDIT - This turbo is externally wastegated as well, are the stockers internal or external?

Stockers are internally wasted gated. You don't need new injectors if you want to mod the stock ones. I'm running modded stock ones right now my AFR's are on target. You also should grab a ebay top mount. I got the largest one i could find and she's doing great. I would eather do the T-flip swap or a MBC. I suggest the MBC as you will spool about 100 rpm faster. An Walbaro 255 is going to be a must.

So parts I would buy

_________

Ebay Intercooler Fuck an sti take off there tiny compared to mine

TurboXS or other type of MBC

Exhaust if it does not have one. Uppipe if it does not have one.

You need a AEM UEGO or LC-1 its a must.

Bugeyes were only 02-03. Stock turbos had internal WGs.

I'm not familiar with the 60-trim compared to, say a 20G, so I'm not sure exactly what will be needed. However, if it's much bigger than stock, you'll want an upgraded fuel pump (walboro 255) and injectors. If it's a big turbo and you're going to be pumping a lot of fuel, you may want to look into new fuel rails. The stock rails are a serial design, so the last cylinder can go lean under certain conditions. A parallel arrangement is preferable for high fuel needs.

If that turbo is bigger than a 20G, it's going to be strangled by the stock TMIC. A FMIC is reccomended once you go with a big (and hot) snail. ANd if you go FMIC, you'll need an Intake. The stock aribox is good for up to 350-400awhp, but the FMIC piping usualy requires an intake. And as long as you're digging in there, you might want to research the TGV delete mod.

Your buddy WILL grenade his tranny eventually. The WRX tranny is just able to handle the stock power. Much more and you'll turn it into confetti, ask Thorne.

QFT

I personally disagree with the TMIC having a issue. the one I'm using claims to be able to handle up to 600WHP. I don't see why it would have a issue flowing. Please avoid a CAI unless you going to 400whp

triple.

I would go with a vf39 for daily driving and not much more on the 2.0 motor I spool at 3200-3500 RPM. I made 280whp on stock cat back and stock inter cooler. Injectors are a waste of money for that setup you can just do the circumcision mod. Every single injectors from the factors has the exact same piston above the cap and they flow ~823cc. Its not a issue to tune. I only noticed one slight problem with my setup is that during intial warm up on a cold day it runs at ad rough but as soon as the cars up to temp thats fades. away

If you want info about the EJ205 / Spooling / injectors or anything give me a call. BTW search nasioc you will see that my 280 setup is a high about of whp for what parts I had.

Tranny wise I would start savings now and eather go with a STi RA gearset /build or a STI 6 speed swap.

IF THIS CAR IS A 02 AND HE CANNOT AFFORD A TRANNY SOON DO NOT UPGRADE!

QFT

I personally disagree with the TMIC having a issue. the one I'm using claims to be able to handle up to 600WHP. I don't see why it would have a issue flowing. Please avoid a CAI unless you going to 400whp

No way would I use a TMIC for anything above 350-400WHP. That is a joke.

No way would I use a TMIC for anything above 350-400WHP. That is a joke.

On a bugeye the kit to keep your lower fog lights is VERY Expensive. That turbo is not going to push 400whp so I'm still correct. I don't think I would want to eather as HEATsoak would be an issue.

For a VF39 I would do it all day long. I will prolly run my topmount on the new turbo for a bit too. GT14 bitches ;) Talk about LAGGGGGGGGGG

On a bugeye the kit to keep your lower fog lights is VERY Expensive. That turbo is not going to push 400whp so I'm still correct. I don't think I would want to eather as HEATsoak would be an issue.

For a VF39 I would do it all day long. I will prolly run my topmount on the new turbo for a bit too. GT14 bitches ;) Talk about LAGGGGGGGGGG

I never said anything about not using it for a VF39...That will be below 350whp, I have a VF39 and a TMIC, but even If I went to a 20G I would get FMIC. BTW I have seen SZ55s Spool faster than VF39s It all depends on the supporting mods and $$$$$.

I never said anything about not using it for a VF39...That will be below 350whp, I have a VF39 and a TMIC, but even If I went to a 20G I would get FMIC. BTW I have seen SZ55s Spool faster than VF39s It all depends on the supporting mods and $$$$$.

I would be impressed to see a EJ205 pull that off. I'm spooling mine faster then most just by using some creative boost management . I hate the stock boost managment but it works ok with the tflip mod. I'm curious were the GT14 is going to spool.

We will see how it spools later this year once I get some cams. 8000rpm wrx ;)

On a bugeye the kit to keep your lower fog lights is VERY Expensive.

I believe there is an ebay fmic kit that lets you keep the fogs. Atleast for the 04-05, not sure about the earlier models. There is a HUGE thread on nasioc about it.

I would be impressed to see a EJ205 pull that off. I'm spooling mine faster then most just by using some creative boost management . I hate the stock boost managment but it works ok with the tflip mod. I'm curious were the GT14 is going to spool.

We will see how it spools later this year once I get some cams. 8000rpm wrx ;)

8000rpm, Cams+ different valves, springs and retainers......

And of course I was talking about SZ55 and an ej257, ej205s are so yesterday, it's like the LS2 vs LS7. :p

Baaaaack. Everything is in place except the minor bump in the road with the turbo. I can trade/sell it off and we can get another if that's what the best route is going to be. Grant wants to have his car running turbo'd again ASAP with more power over stock. His goals were to get it going from here and later down the road set the car up to be a bad ass highway machine, that is why I suggested my turbo for him! I'm going to start looking around a bit for this vf39