Local area Soda Blasting

TimTaylor751647545500

I've been researching Soda Blasting for a while now and haven't really seen very much posted on any of the area local or Ohio-based forums I frequent. I figured at least Kevin probably does some form of blasting, but was curious to see if he or if anyone else either does or knows of someone in the Columbus area that does this type of work. If you've used someone or know of someone who has used a local company for soda blasting, feel free to post. I'm looking to get some more information and maybe have some work done in the near future.

i had a motorcycle tank soda blasted two years ago. it was a mobile one man shop, based out in delaware off of 36. i can't remember the guys name, but if you give me time i will look for the invoice. what are you trying to get done?

i will be set up in a few months to do soda blasting if you can wait

Have you been pricing equipment? If so, which manufacturer are you leaning towards? Reason I ask is because I've been doing A LOT of research on this as of late and am pretty familiar with many of the products available and what's available.

I have heard of this what is the advantages?

it doesnt harm the metal!

Media blasting tends to heat and warp metal, and acid dipping runs the risk of leaving residue behind that can either A) hurt a new coat of paint or B) hurt someone working on the car

There are many more products available other than metallic surfaces in which you can use Baking Soda, the most significant in the auto industry would be fiberglass, which carries over to boats, airplanes etc. Many companies do house restorations after fires in which they use baking soda to restore the wooden support system of the home. A lot of cities remove graffiti as well with this process. They use baking soda on the Statue of Liberty as well. These are just a few.

The advantages are pretty numerous actually, baking soda itself is biodegradable, so once you filter out the product you're removing from the dust, it can simply be washed away by rain or water. With sandblasting, you typically want to add some measure of primer to the metallic surface promptly to avoid rust starting to form. With baking soda blasting, there is a surface layer of material that actually protects the surface from rust. Some have mentioned going a few months before they begin the paint process and have reported minimal rusting in that time (with no primer added). Sand is caustic and that is something you don't have to worry about with soda, not nearly as many health issues with using it. With sandblasting or other more aggressive medias, you need to be mindful of the rubber, glass and plastic surfaces when doing the work, but the soda doesn't damage those items.