Electrical question......

Putty

OK, I have 3 switches on my wall. One controls an outlet in the room. The other two control the ceiling fan. One for light, other for fan. Well, I put up a 'remote only' fan, so the switches need to stay in the on position and I control the light and fan by remote. If I remove the plate on the wall, disconnect the two switches and replace with a blank panel, so no one ever flips the two switches, will they be 'on' when I remove the switch or 'off' cause there is no actual switch on the wall. Hope that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense.....? You walk in and have three switches. You flip two of them and it does nothing....If you leave them down, my fan won't work cause no power when switches are down....With them up, the fan still does not come on, nor the light cause the only way either of those work is by a remote. Therefore, I want to remove the switches, so all I have to do is grab my remote and turn on light and fan...No switches are needed.

Here's a better question. Does an actual switch have to be on the wall to get power to an outlet? For instance a switch that operates a lamp. Say you have the lamp on....go turn off the breaker, come up, remove the switch from the wall.....go back down and turn the breaker back on...will the light come on or stay off?

If you remove the 2 switches and wire nut the wires together then they will be on all the time.

I think that is what you are asking

Yes, I want them on all the time, with no actual switch on the wall.

I think I understand what you are trying to say...

First, turn off the breaker that supplies power to the switch panel for the fan. Turn all of the switches in the fan switch panel on to make sure there is no power to anything. Remove the two fan switches completely. Connect each wire seperately to it's other same colored wire. The wiring will then be wired direct to the fan with no interruption. Put a blank panel up where the switches were, turn the breaker back on, and you are done. Your new fan will come with a relay or some sort of control box that will control the fan.

If the wiring coming from the source is a different color from what is going to the fan, do not play guesswork. Take a clear picture of it all and post it up here or call an electrician. I think I covered everything. If not then someone post up.

No you do not need a switch on the wall.

You have two live wires and one ground on the switch all the switch does is connect the two live wires when you want the fan to have power. Take the live wires and connect them and you will have power always going to to the fan. As has been said use a wirenut to connect the live wires and you should be good.

Connected to each switch will be 2 black wires, 2 white wires and 2 ground wires. Be sure to turn the breaker off, obviously. Remove the light switch, wire nut the 2 black wires together. Wire nut the 2 white wires together. Wire nut the 2 ground wires together. Repeat this process for the fan switch. Turn the breaker on. There will now always be power going to the ceiling fan, and you will be able to turn it on and off with the remote.

Connect each wire seperately to it's other same colored wire. The wiring will then be wired direct to the fan with no interruption.

By the sound of this....I should have two black, white, and red wires....possibly connected to each switch. I wire nut each color to it's self and done. OR am I wiring the one red from one switch to the red of the other switch, as well as the other colors and done??

Connected to each switch will be 2 black wires, 2 white wires and 2 ground wires. Be sure to turn the breaker off, obviously. Remove the light switch, wire nut the 2 black wires together. Wire nut the 2 white wires together. Wire nut the 2 ground wires together. Repeat this process for the fan switch. Turn the breaker on. There will now always be power going to the ceiling fan, and you will be able to turn it on and off with the remote.

That's the hand-hold I needed....Perfectly clear...THANKS!

Thanks for the others....I have never done this before...Needed clarity

There won't be any red wires. There are 2 white, 2 black, and 2 ground wires to each switch.

there will be red if someone had wired up a 3 way. depending on who did it you shouldnt have the red wire going anywhere except to another switch. just cap it off with a wire nut and just use the "black" and white and wire nut each color to that same.

Touch the positive wire with your tongue for a surprise !

Why don't you just put a piece of tape under the switch so it is hard to turn off? You know like you are supposed to do when you want to work on your garbage disposal with power on? Then put a post it note on the switch so others known what it is for.

You can remove the switch and keep all the same colored wires together though. Then it will always be "on".

Why don't you just put a piece of tape under the switch so it is hard to turn off? You know like you are supposed to do when you want to work on your garbage disposal with power on?

A piece of tape and a post-it! I hope you don't work with hazardous equipment on a regular basis... If it ain't locked out, there's no way I'm sticking my hand in *anything*.

What doesn't make sense is why someone would have wired up the fan to the wall switch when it wasn't destined to be a switch operated fan.

The builder built it that way. It would be perfect IF I bought a fan with chains that hang to operate fan and light, but as I said....I got a remote ONLY fan, so once I turn it off with the remote..It's not coming on again until I hit the remote...The switch on the wall does nothing.