Audi Reliability?

Science Abuse

So, what tour saying is, if I want something that wont need attention 3 times a year, I should look elsewhere?

I've heard similar front-end woes from Volvo V70s (also on my list), what bout 4motion VWs and Subaru's? Found a 37k mi Legacy 5spd this weekend, it's got my attention.

p.s. Audi's out-option any other wagon on the road. You wont find features like that anywhere else.... but I don't "need" that. :(

VW is worse than Audi trust me, i like the cars, but just stay away. Most common issues w/ those things are CV shaft boots tearing, pcv stuff, front suspension (almost a carbon copy of the audi front suspension) audi/vw are the same car essentially.

I haven't seen a lot of suspension issues with volvos....just for the love of God stay away from the V70 "cross country" I haven't quoted one of those cars for less than $1200 on a "check over" and it is legitimate safety issue stuff, they are just pieces of shit to be blunt. Volvos have PCV issues that require taking off the intake manifold to fix most of the time, I've also noticed a lot of the turbo volvo's seep oil at the turbo, most of volvo's issues come after 135K+ depending on maintenance, otherwise Volvo's are usually a pretty good choice.

Subarus are excellent, working at the shop has made me want to own one for a daily. If you maintain them they last forever. Usually i see a lot of maintenance stuff, don't usually see major engine issues. We see a lot of rear wheel bearings, CV shafts and valve covers as far as "common issues" other than maintenance.

I would recommend Subaru over Volvo. I would not recommend VW right now.

One of my good friends at work just traded in his 02 A4 1.8T after only having for 7 months and having it in the shop all the time. The car had 80K. The things I can remember are fuel pump, transmission front pump, belt tensioner, coolant leak, vacuum leaks, check engine light on 4 times, HVAC controls broken, etc. I am sure there's more, I just can't remember. I was seriously considering buying one before he bought his, but after seeing just how much the parts alone cost, I'll think twice. I remember that the cupholder in the dash broke and the new one was close to $100.

Maybe my A4 is a rarity...but I bought it at 57K miles...now has 160K on the clock and other than regularly scheduled maintenance and wear items I've rarely ever had any issues:

In 5 years I've owned it here's the only things I can think of that have failed:

1 failed coilpack $50

1 front engine mount $60

1 spark control module $300

1 transmission gear sensor $75

1 diverter valve $40

1 S-belt tensioner $90

Maybe it's the front drive that's not nearly as hard on parts as the Quattro cars?

I had Derek check the front end last year when it was alligned to see if anything needed replaced and all was still good.

Now I'll admit that the dash lights up like a christmas tree with lights due to an accident that has caused the Air bag module to go bad, and the front glass is broken but none of that I consider to be Audi's fault.

Andy

Audi's are very reliable as long as you do the maintenance. Mine was not well maintained before I bought it but after a ton of work its in perfect shape other than needing a small amount of body work. My 1.8t has 140K on it runs strong, no signs of sludge. The 2.8 is a very reliable motor, easily can be driven over 200K miles if maintained.