Wheel Bearing Replacement

87GT

I need to replace I guess the whole hub assembly on my 97 cavalier. I assume I take off the wheel, take off brake caliper, then unscrew the long bolt on the hub?

My question is do I need some $200 wrench to remove this bolt?

Well I haven't actually done one on a Cavalier, but I'm guess it's a hub/bearing assembly. So for the typical GM you'd have to remove caliper, rotor, then the axle nut, and there's usually 3 or 4 13mm bolts on the backside holding the assembly in, and then you have to either pound it out with a hammer or slide hammer.

I've changed a few hub assemblies on cavaliers and similar vehicles at work. There's not any special tools needed to remove them. like stated above remove the brake assembly, the axle nut, the 3 bolts on the backside and knock it out with a hammer or air chisel. It's alot easer if you push the axle back through just a little bit before you try and remove the hub assembly.

its best to just take the hub cap off and remove the axle nut with the car still on the ground unless you have an impact. put the axle nut back on untill its flush with the end of the axle then tap it back with a hammer. the hub bolts are 13mm, it can be hit with a hammer from the back side to come right off. be sure to clean the mounting surface before you put the new hub on.

Is this done yet?

If not,

There is nothing on the cavalier hub that you need to hammer out..

Like said, remove the calipers, rotors then the axle nut.. After that you will need a T55 star bit to remove the 3 bolts holding the hub on the spindle.. If the hub hasn't been off before, yea either use a pry bar, or air chisle to get the darn thing off..

If you need help, lemme know, I have all the tools for this job..