99' camaro, strange sound at idle.

Guest mrhobbz

Guest mrhobbz
Picked up a new daily, 99' camaro Y87 package, at an idle it has a strange whistling noise almost sounds like a vacuum leak but its coming from about the middle/rear of the car. Got out and listened for an exhaust leak but didn't hear much. I can only hear the noise while the doors are shut and the windows are up. Ideas?

stock exhaust? since its a V6 it may be sometimg in the exhaust that when the exhaust gas flows over it at idle it makes the noise. the corvettes had something along the lines but it sounded like a jingle and it was due to a hole that was drilled in the H-pipe on the inside.

Guest mrhobbz
stock exhaust? since its a V6 it may be sometimg in the exhaust that when the exhaust gas flows over it at idle it makes the noise. the corvettes had something along the lines but it sounded like a jingle and it was due to a hole that was drilled in the H-pipe on the inside.

Yeah its the stock exhaust, i'll look at it closer tomorrow when i can get it on a set of jacks.

Are you sure it's going bad? Many fuel pumps, mainly aftermarket units, are just plain loud but they still work fine.

A lot of people cut an access hole in the floor of the hatch area. Otherwise you gotta drop the rear axle and all that fun stuff in order to change it.

Guest mrhobbz
Are you sure it's going bad? Many fuel pumps, mainly aftermarket units, are just plain loud but they still work fine.

A lot of people cut an access hole in the floor of the hatch area. Otherwise you gotta drop the rear axle and all that fun stuff in order to change it.

Yeah it very well could be an aftermarket fuel pump, that was just the dealerships guess. Ran fine didn't seem to have any fuel delivery problems, it also has an aftermarket exhaust so it very well could be a fuel pump.

Guest mrhobbz
I wouldn't worry about it then. A previous owner probably just replaced the original pump with a cheap one from NAPA or something. When the fuel pump starts to crap out, you'll know something is wrong

Yeah i didnt figure it was anything to worry about, the car runs quite strong and didnt have any fuel issues so i'll just worry about it if something comes up. Thanks for the info.

Guest mrhobbz
I got the dealership to agree to fill the tank up before i drove it off the lot, they did and they say the noise is now gone. Guess we'll see when i get there.

I have an OEM fuel pump if you need one, and can help you with the "trap door" mod if you wanna go that route. Takes an hour to replace the pump the first time, then 30 minutes thereafter.

I did the ''trap door'' mod yesterday installing a Racetronix kit on my brother 95 Z28. WAY freaking easier then dropping the axles, tank, ect. installed everything in about 3 hours. Better then the 7-8 hour job Alldata said it would take to install a new pump!

Guest mrhobbz
I have an OEM fuel pump if you need one, and can help you with the "trap door" mod if you wanna go that route. Takes an hour to replace the pump the first time, then 30 minutes thereafter.

Hmmm, how much? Could always use a backup just in case.

Guest mrhobbz
Stock GM/Delco unit out of a '98 w/ 40k miles. Nothing wrong with it, I just run dual in-tank Walbros now.

Well, i want it :) Since you live out in BFE.... will you be out near grove city/westside anytime soon?