2002 Subaru: low idle?

Science Abuse

Don't know anything about the auto's, sorry

Up until late 03 - early 04 the 5 speeds were pretty weak. They were fine in the NA cars, but they used that same weak trans in the WRX for the first two years, as they didn't have anything else laying around to toss in. Their solution in the WRX was to use a crap clutch, which helped squeek some extra life out of them. Not a huge deal when the car is stock, but even then its still advised to be easy on the 1-2 shift.

As for the idle, if it's not stalling I wouldn't worry about it. My idle bounces all over the place, but on the low end 750 is probably about where I sit. Mine only stalled out on me once or twice, and that was when I first got the car a year ago.

If that 2.5 is just an NA version of the newer WRX/STI motor then it should be pretty good.

750 is the appropriate idle for the boxer 4. As said above, 02 and early 03 transmissions were kind of weak under WRX or higher power. But if you don't beat on it, you should be fine with a N/A car. The rumble is due to the unequal length headers. It's kind of a "Harley-effect." I love the sound, but equal length headers will pretty much eliminate it if you don't like it.

I drove a Saab 9-2X Aero 5spd today; WRX guts etc. It gave me "the grin", it was quicker than I thought it would be.

What didn't make me grin was the insulting trade in value they slapped on my Jag. I also don't think it's a particularly good car for the price ($12,999). I'd like to have one, but I'm not paying a premium.

If the stealership is willing to work with me to get the price down on the one driven on Thursday, i'll probably bite.

There are some H6 cars in the area, how do those last?