is earth really a sphere?

coupe_no

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alex- you say its an 8in drop per mile, but i read its a 19in drop, thats twice as much.

NY times had an article on curvature, read the whole thing

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9505EEDA1F31E733A25755C0A96F9C946897D6CF&oref=slogin

so chicago is 579ft abouve sea level, the highest building is 110 stories so a "high building" could be about 90 stories which is roughly... 720ft high

so sea level + building height

579 + 720 = 1299

i couldnt find the level of michigan city but if chicago is 579, holland is 662, mill. is 612, than we can assume its about 560-600ft plus they built the observatory on a sand dune

the two cities are about 45mi away from each other, 50 max

the observatories could NOT see each other! so dont give me that 8in per mile garbage, US officers say you fail

you realize that study is nearly 100 years old, right?

Moreover, there isn't a single citation of a reputable credibility in that entire article. How would Cook know if he was seeing 15 miles? It doesn't even show if the Chicago study was scientifically conducted.

anywho, it most certainly is 8 inches per mile. the equatorial radius of earth (the radius changes slightly by a few miles here and there, but we'll use a fixed number here) is 3963 miles. Lets say you traveled 1 mile perfectly tangential to the earth's surface in any direction. You can then make a right triangle, using your original position, the center of a spherical earth, and your new position as coordinates. The distance from the center of the earth to position 1 (p1) is 3963mi, the distance from p1 to p2 is 1 mile, and we're trying to find distance A, aka the hypotenuse of the triangle. thus, A^2 = 3963^2 + 1^2 = 15705370, the square root of which is 3963.000126 miles. .000126 is the height off the earth you have traveled in one mile, and wouldn't you guess that .000126 x 5280 ft/mile x 12 in/ft = 7.98 inches.

edit: my math skillz (most of the time, at least) are sick. i remember saying something pretty stupid a while ago that brian had in his sig

atmospheric refraction, waves, mist, temperature, etc... you know when youre looking at a road and it looks like its covered with water? well that 'water' hides the hull of the ship until its close enough for you to see, kinda like fog....

Thats not what your mom said last night !

:bs: copied and pasted i say

i like this pic;

http://geocities.com/levelwater/colonarc.gif

What the fuck is that picture supposed to imply? All I can gather is that you converted 56 miles to meters (which is 20 meters off, btw...google "56 miles to meters", or does your God have a different conversion system?), then divided the roughly 90k meters by 6.37 million millimeters to get some retarded ratio of .01412695 m/mm, which is completely nonsensical as it equates to the number 14.12695 with no units attached.

Please, for the good of society, take along walk off a short pier.

What the fuck is that picture supposed to imply? All I can gather is that you converted 56 miles to meters (which is 20 meters off, btw...google "56 miles to meters", or does your God have a different conversion system?), then divided the roughly 90k meters by 6.37 million millimeters to get some retarded ratio of .01412695 m/mm, which is completely nonsensical as it equates to the number 14.12695 with no units attached.

Please, for the good of society, take along walk off a short pier.

i didnt draw it, it shows that columbus could not have seen an island 56 miles away if the earth is globe

i didnt draw it, it shows that columbus could not have seen an island 56 miles away if the earth is globe

apparently you don't tire of being wrong.

Rodrigo de Triana, who actually spotted the Bahamas, was aboard the Pinta, aTudor Caravel whose crow's nest would be about 60feet off the ocean's surface. According to a few topographical maps I've seen, the eastern cliffs of Samana Cay and San Salvador Island, the two places Columbus is suspected to have landed initially, rise up about 50 feet. So time to do some more math.

At 56 miles, 8 inches per mile says that the discrepancy in height would have to be less than 448 inches, or 37 feet, 4 inches. The combined height of the crow's nest and the height of the cliffs above sea level would make this not only possible, but would make people wonder why they didn't spot land sooner.

EDIT: Also, according to your map of the world, if Columbus, regarded as one of the best navigators of his time, sailed Southwest as he would have to reach the Bahamas, he would have run aground somewhere in Antarctica, or if indeed that doesn't matter it certainly wouldn't have taken him 2 months to reach the Bahamas.

Not to mention the fact that if the angels in your depiction are moving the Earth up and down to affect seasons in your fucked up geocentric universe, in order for there to be 24 hours of sunlight in Antarctica during the winter the rest of the world would see almost as little daylight as the north pole. Also how do you explain the Coriolis effect

are you forbidden to breed? Because you will teach your children this same dumb bull shit. Do you have a LOW IQ I mean are you not of avg int? I'm not going to make fun of you if you are. But maybe you should step away from the keyboard and research what your talking about. Just like your incorect religion statements. Whats more awesome is that now your trying to argue things we can and have proved.

HOW STUPID ARE YOU?

if you are below avg and really did ride the short bus please disregard this message.