Center diff in AWD Talon

Tindall2006

well, today after some research I have determined that the center diff is either locked up, or welded. Basicaly I know what the problem may or maynot be, and pretty sure I can take it apart to inspect it. Basicly asking for advice

Should I tear into the transmission and see for myself (ofcourse i am going to check fluid and stuff again first...)

Buy the extra tranny, dsmer's always need a spare, and then drop the tranny and see?

How many people have heard of the diff being locked up? The car has had this issue since i bought it (tires skipping on slow sharp turns and when backing up and turning)

I know I don't have a LSD and the diff and transfecase appear to be good too.

Symptoms:

Rear wheels don't want to turn going around tight low speed right or left turns.

Nasty clunking coming from transmission area.

Car feels like it's being held back, may even die, when trying to backup and turn left or right.

Should be flakes of metal on the transmission drain plug.

Likely to occur after a hard launch.

Those are for a bad center diff.

Center Differential Rebuild Kit Mitsubishi part number MD733338 (Ref#22620 in image below)> Conicelli Mitsubishi $140+S&H. And thats what you need to rebuild it.

Yeah, I am replacing it, then I am going to tear into this tranny and slowly rebuild it.

My motor sergeant used to be a tech at a misu dealership so if I get into trouble he said I can bring it up to the motor pool and he would help me out.