Is it worth it?

V8 Beast

I'm in the same boat with mods. Do I spend the $1K or so for the pulley swap, blower port, and tune (already have the pulleys, so under $1K to finish it off) to gain that additional 80 HP / 100 TQ to hit 500 RWHP / 500 RWTQ? Decisions, decisions... :marc:

Dont forget tune cost and dyno time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget tune cost and dyno time.

Do I spend the $1K or so for the pulley swap, blower port, and tune (already have the pulleys, so under $1K to finish it off)

Reading comprehension > you... ;)

Reading compression > you... ;)

Don't forget injectors, BAP, and MAF.

I personally wouldn't port the blower. I'd do an upper and lower then wait a while and do a KB.

you'll lose some driveability if you go too far then won't get to enjoy it as much.

+1000

every time i do something to my car, i'm paranoid that something will break, or that it will hurt the reliability of the car, or make it not as fun to drive. i say leave the car as it is, drive it, enjoy it, and wait to go forged/forced induction.

I'm in the same boat with mods. Do I spend the $1K or so for the pulley swap, blower port, and tune (already have the pulleys, so under $1K to finish it off) to gain that additional 80 HP / 100 TQ to hit 500 RWHP / 500 RWTQ? Decisions, decisions... :marc:

i was happy with the ported blower, but in the end (after a while) i wanted more power, and didn't want nitrous or a lower pulley. i ended up going with a whipple. even with a mild, mild tune, the whipple will make more power, and have more potential than the ported blower--but its SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive---

blower--$3k

injectors/pumps/mass air--$800

subframes, springs, rear end brace, drag radials--$850

those are the minimal supporting mods for the twinscrew (that are on my car). i'll assume you have a catback and cold air intake.

optional are a throttle body, new clutch, with 26 spline input shaft, and a solid rear--i would avoid level 5 halfshafts but that's just me.

you can see it adds up, but in the end, the car can have a glass-smooth idle, and full driveability.

i was happy with the ported blower, but in the end (after a while) i wanted more power, and didn't want nitrous or a lower pulley. i ended up going with a whipple. even with a mild, mild tune, the whipple will make more power, and have more potential than the ported blower--but its SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive---

blower--$3k

injectors/pumps/mass air--$800

subframes, springs, rear end brace, drag radials--$850

those are the minimal supporting mods for the twinscrew (that are on my car). i'll assume you have a catback and cold air intake.

optional are a throttle body, new clutch, with 26 spline input shaft, and a solid rear--i would avoid level 5 halfshafts but that's just me.

you can see it adds up, but in the end, the car can have a glass-smooth idle, and full driveability.

Well duh the twin screw out performs the ported Heaton because it a bigger case and more efficient rotors thus equaling less heat.

Yea a BAP or twin 255's with 60lb injectors and a MAFia get expensive but most these parts can be had used for cheap. Just dont skimp the tune.

To OP, get the FAST intake ported by someone local and then re use it when you boost, if you go that route.

Stop changing the car and start taking it to the track. Find a cheap trailer, fill your own nitrous bottles and drive the shit out of that thing this summer. Driver mod and shaking the current setup out will net you your biggest gains at this point.

+1

Stop changing the car and start taking it to the track. Find a cheap trailer, fill your own nitrous bottles and drive the shit out of that thing this summer. Driver mod and shaking the current setup out will net you your biggest gains at this point.

Use the money on a nitrous fill station.... BRILLIANT!!!!! At this point it's tweaking it to get the most out of it. The cam I have is for an n/a setup and doesnt work well with spray, but for $1000 I can just deal with a 100 shot not feeling like a 100 shot.

I already have the blueprint for my mods in the future. This season will determine if it is will it be in 2009 or 2010.

i was happy with the ported blower, but in the end (after a while) i wanted more power

I agree, don't waste your time/money as 500rwhp (or whatever they pump out now) feels fast, then fades. I wish I wouldn’t have made that mistake and went with a KB kit from day one. Be slow and save up for the good stuff, you won’t regret it later. Trust me lol. I also hope you went with Billetflow pullies..

Well duh the twin screw out performs the ported Heaton because it a bigger case and more efficient rotors thus equaling less heat.

Yea a BAP or twin 255's with 60lb injectors and a MAFia get expensive but most these parts can be had used for cheap. Just dont skimp the tune.

not sure how to take your post, but i pretty much know exactly how the twinscrew works, and why it is more efficient (TOTALLY different rotor design). i did some extensive research, waited, researched, and then bought the blower and did all of the work myself (except the tuning)

i wouldn't buy used injectors for an '03/04 cobra, nor a used BAP, or MAFia, but that's me. don't skimp on anything would be my advice.

I agree, don't waste your time/money as 500rwhp (or whatever they pump out now) feels fast, then fades. I wish I wouldn’t have made that mistake and went with a KB kit from day one. Be slow and save up for the good stuff, you won’t regret it later. Trust me lol. I also hope you went with Billetflow pullies..

yep.

+100, I say you try to get a good full season out of the car and get lots of track time. Whats the point in spending all this money without being able to enjoy the car. Then at the end of the season see which direction you want. And when you do go to sell parts, let me know.

Last year was way out of the ordinary because the transmision broke twice. This is completely seperate from what caused the car not to work last year.

I have had the car for 6 years, modded for 3. Dont assume that it hasnt been to the track... a lot.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and put all of my bonus into the house. My car is nothing more than an addiction that I keep throwing money into. Forget the 408, forget the turbos, forget wasting money just so I can drive the speed limit and go to the track twice a month. I'll just shoot for my goal with it the way it is.

Thanks everyone

I think I'm just going to go ahead and put all of my bonus into the house. My car is nothing more than an addiction that I keep throwing money into. Forget the 408, forget the turbos, forget wasting money just so I can drive the speed limit and go to the track twice a month. I'll just shoot for my goal with it the way it is.

Thanks everyone

Oh shit somebody forgot to take their meds again! Ran out of medication triple post!