4 spun bearings

s13

I tore the oil pan off my car tonight and I can shake all 4 rod bearings with my hands. The car is rod knocking extremely bad.

Can anything besides bad machine work/wrong bearing sizes cause all 4 bearings to go bad? Motor only has 1500 miles since it was rebuilt.

Car has a brand new oil pump and pick up tube. Has always been right on full and didn't leak. It also had amazing oil pressure.

Balance shafts removal was done correctly. It is a non turbo block though without oil squirters, but my understanding is that those wouldn't affect it.

And a cam would spin before the rod did if there was an oil pressure problems since the oil from the pan would splash up.

Oil starvation has been known to happen in long, sweeping, high-RPM turns.

If the pan isn't baffled correctly, it doesn't matter how well the pump works, or how good the pressure is. If all of the oil gets pushed to one side for ONE SECOND, the bottom end gets starved.

The only insurance against this is a properly-baffled pan, or an Accusump.

Been taking any fast freeway ramps?

Guest 614Streets

Was the motor blueprinted before assembly? Did you balance the rotating assembly?

When you can shake all 4 rod bearings , explain that. Id suspect wrong bearing sizes/improper assembly.

The end caps on the rods have about a 1/4 mm of play to each side. I can shake them back and forth while they are still torqued down to the crank. It seems as if the crank was turned and stock bearings were put back in.

6-bolts are pretty immune to crank walk.

The car was never boosted, never taken about 5k and no fast sweeping freeway ramps.

Also I don't believe the motor was blueprinted but I was told the crank was balanced.

Compression was 150-150-120-150. I was figuring the 120 was the only bad bearing. The 4th cylinder has the most play in the end cap and the 1st cylinder has the least, I can still push it back and fourth but it takes a lot more force.

Ooooooooooooooohh, no... looks like you'll be doing your own rebuild now.

????

The bearings from the 120 cylinder were oil starved, the bearing turned blue and I found a nice chunk of soft metal in the oiling hole, possibly the bearing itself?

The other bearing I pulled looked fine,but i could push it side to side while it was still attached to the crank. Is this normal?

The crank doesn't seem to have been turned and the bearings are standard size.

The arps were on pretty tight and I had to use a breaker bar to get them loose.

So it looks like I should pull the crank and have it checked out. Will new bearings and the crank checked out fix the low compression?

Guest 614Streets
????

The bearings from the 120 cylinder were oil starved, the bearing turned blue and I found a nice chunk of soft metal in the oiling hole, possibly the bearing itself?

The other bearing I pulled looked fine,but i could push it side to side while it was still attached to the crank. Is this normal?

Yes there is a spec for this its called connecting rod end play and you can check with a feeler gauge. I don't know what your engines specs are but its probably in the .3 to .4 mm max.

Well the rod bearings were spun and one was oil starved. What should I do about getting my money back? I got a quote from 1500-2000 depending on what all needs replaced. Thats including labor parts and machine work. I paid 1400 for the motor. Should he refund me the 1400? Should I see if I can pull the motor and give it back to him for the 1400?

sorry to hear about your issues, but buying used motors never get warrentys, and would never hold up in any type of court. The problem is when the motor was sold to you did it have 0 miles? For all he might not even have known about this and, really thought he did a perfect rebuild, your going to have to talk it out with the guy who built it, but somthing that far out of spec is really crazy. Now is he going to give your money back? and take a engine that needs rebuilt.

even buying engines from a place with warrentys is very sketchy, But be prepaired to rebuild this engine with your money. I have seen this happen 2 times before.

The motor had 0 miles when I bought it, and he did claim he did a perfect job because he built the motor for himself but sold it when his wife bought him and evo and told him he had to get rid of his 2nd gen.

I just don't see how anything I could of done caused the motor to do this.