Grouting?

Putty

OK...someone tell me the best way to grout a wall? I attempted on a few pieces of slate and there is no way to get it in the cracks w/out putting the shit all over the face of the rock. I wiped it off, but it appears to dull the finish a bit.

OK...someone tell me the best way to grout a wall? I attempted on a few pieces of slate and there is no way to get it in the cracks w/out putting the shit all over the face of the rock. I wiped it off, but it appears to dull the finish a bit.

Just use a float and do it as you would any other tile. The wet grout will completely wipe off with enough water.

you do cover it all with a rubber float and then after it drys for 15-30 mins you clean off the excess with a damp sponge. after it drys for 24 hours you buff it with water and soft cloth towl.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Use a GROUT FLOAT to work the grout into the tile joints (refer to illustration below). Skim off the excess grout with the edge of the Grout Float and wipe the tile immediately with a damp GROUT SPONGE (rinse the Grout Sponge frequently and change the rinse water regularly). It is better to grout small areas at a time so no grout will dry on the face of the tile. Remove all of the grout with the exception of a fine film. This film can be buffed off in 30 to 45 minutes using a clean, dry cloth. For particularly tough areas where grout was inadvertently left on the tile after the clean-up phase, use GROUT HAZE AND LATEX FILM REMOVER with a scrub pad.

http://www.tileshop.com/diy/inst_floor.asp

use a float

then use a grout sponge to clean.. for it to dry a bit, go over again.

then if there is still a haze you can buy a cleaner that will rid of the haze at lowes.

also a steel wool pad (very fine) and some water works too.

but yes.. use a float to do your grout. and use it at an angle, and go diagonally across your tile. with your grout sponge use it diagonally across the tile as well. dont wait a long time for the first clean water sponge wipe. and use it with little pressure.

you may have to sponge it a few times.

I was told that using a float puts grout haze on the stone.

whats another way to grout tile??

cause i dont know.

i have used a grout bag (kind of like a bag bakers use to put icing on) to help keep the mess to a minimum, but i still use the float to force it in the joints better.

i did a black marbal floor in my bathroom and did it with a float and it buffed right off and looks awesome.

all the tile i have laid, i have had hazing, but after a few sponge wipes goes right way

oh and tripple post for the winnarzzzz

I am doing this to slate...There is a difference when it comes to tile. I will get a float. I bought a grout bag that looks like a cake icing applicator, but the grout is too thick to come out. I cut a larget hole, but too thick to come out. Will do float tomorrow.

all the tile i have laid, i have had hazing, but after a few sponge wipes goes right way

oh and tripple post for the winnarzzzz

must be different with marble, it did haze at first but when it dried and then buffed it was like a mirror.

I am doing this to slate...There is a difference when it comes to tile. I will get a float. I bought a grout bag that looks like a cake icing applicator, but the grout is too thick to come out. I cut a larget hole, but too thick to come out. Will do float tomorrow.

if you cant squeeze the grout through the hole in the bag then you mixed it to thick

I would put a coat of sealer on your slate before you grout. My wife and I grouted a slate "look-alike" ceramic tile and it was a bitch to get all the grout off in all the veins and "cracks." Had we sealed before the grout wouldn't have stuck, as much.

I am suprised the grout bag didnt work for you. I used it on the floor after we did the shower and it worked like a charm.