Fucking bullshit clutch!

JuicedH22

So, I decide after work that it is an excellent day to go for a drive in the 7 and maybe snap a few pics. Well, I am driving on Tylersville, low speed 2nd gear and decide to put the freshly upgraded rear-end to the test. I gun it, pull all the way through 2nd gear, shift into 3rd, seems okay to start, but next thing I know, it jumps the revs and the cabin starts to fill with that 'great' smell of burnt clutch... so yea, its garbage... It was able to drive home, I tried one time, just to test, to put it under high load, and it started to slip immediately.... Now I have to find out if there is a way I can get a clutch installed in 3 days, and not cost an arm and a leg, because there is no way I have time to do it with my workload this week, otherwise I am porked for Friday.... THIS FUCKING SUCKS! :mad:

(For those that dont know, I am suppose to be going to Mid-Ohio on Friday for a Track Day...)

I had mine do something similar in my 330i. I let it cool off and the next day there was no slippage. Have you removed the little bastard PPV (I think that's it, I forget now) valve?

I had mine do something similar in my 330i. I let it cool off and the next day there was no slippage.

I could take that chance if I was just talking about street driving, not 3 days before road racing, where things get HOT and there is a lot of shifting going on....

I could take that chance if I was just talking about street driving, not 3 days before road racing, where things get HOT and there is a lot of shifting going on....

True, that was just one of the weird things I noticed about BMW clutches. I was never ever happy with that clutch.

I had mine do something similar in my 330i. I let it cool off and the next day there was no slippage. Have you removed the little bastard PPV (I think that's it, I forget now) valve?

i belive it was his rx7 clutch not his bmw

It does suck, but NASA will let you change vehicles. Get in touch with someone and let them know you'll be in the BMW, all is well.

except for the fact the bmw is not even near prepped for road racing...

-auto trans FTL

-would need track pads

-would need brake fluid flushed and replaced with motul or super blue in the least

-the 19s would never work on that track, they kill accleration and would rub like a bitch

-the winter wheels (16s) have snow tires on them, so would need pulled for a better set of tires, and those donuts would also blow on the track...

I guess I will call and see what kind of partial refund, if any, i can get... alll this assuming I cant find a clutch and place to install it quickly and cheaply for me on thursday (already have a day of getting it aligned for track specs blocked for wednesday).

except for the fact the bmw is not even near prepped for road racing...

-auto trans FTL

-would need track pads

-would need brake fluid flushed and replaced with motul or super blue in the least

-the 19s would never work on that track, they kill accleration and would rub like a bitch

-the winter wheels (16s) have snow tires on them, so would need pulled for a better set of tires, and those donuts would also blow on the track...

No offense, but cry me a river. :p What's the point of having that "Ultimate driving Machine" if you've put wheels/tires on it that are useless?

That whole checklist means jack squat, it's an HPDE not a race. Take it out and have fun. I open lapped a 4000lb daily driver for 3 years and turned damed respectable times because of it.

-auto trans FTL Does it shift? Yes? Then run it. Shit clutch FTL

-would need track pads No, it doesn't

-would need brake fluid flushed and replaced with motul or super blue in the least No, it wont.

What have you been reading? I used DOT3 Napa piss in my car and it would last a season, so would the pads. If you're killing brakes and need all that stuff, you need to practice your braking. If I can turn 1:50's in a 190rwhp 4000lb Ford, you can have fun and be quick in the 3.

What group were you in? I may buy your spot from you if it's allowed. I'll take an 80hp AE86 out and have a good time.

No offense, but cry me a river. :p What's the point of having that "Ultimate driving Machine" if you've put wheels/tires on it that are useless?

No offense taken. :) Trust me, that rolling sled is hardly the ultimate driving machine, its just my daily driver, lol. As far as parts, yes, i understand the auto trans works just fine, just not as fun. As far as brakes (Hawk HP+ is what I typically run, since its a good street pad, that can run on the track fine) As far as the fluid, I have to disagree, maybe you have some magical way of not needing brakes, but I have seen too many people run DOT3 (even DOT4) on the track and coke the lines and/or boil them and/or lose full braking potential. Rotors get hot, ever see a 'noob' come in from a session, set his parking brake and have the pad 'seize' to the rotor? As far as driving skills, I think I do pretty well ;) I didnt get to run at Silverstone because of my incredibly good looks (though that could probably get me close...). I accelerate for as long as I can and brake hard before entry, because that is the fast way around the track. Never ran at Mid-Ohio though, so maybe its easier. But I do agree that it is just an HPDE event so I could putz around the track in my BMW if I wanted, but that is not what I am looking to do.

I found I can get a partial (most) refund if I cancel today, but I am hoping to get the clutch fixed, depends on what I hear in the next couple hours...

we can work on a rental program for my M3 if you want :p Sorry, nobody else other than my brother gets to drive the FD.

In all reality if you need help with a thrash for prepping the BMW I may be able to help. I'd buy your spot from you, but I'm going to be busy this weekend trying to get my FD ready for the first Funday next week.

we can work on a rental program for my M3 if you want :p Sorry, nobody else other than my brother gets to drive the FD.

In all reality if you need help with a thrash for prepping the BMW I may be able to help. I'd buy your spot from you, but I'm going to be busy this weekend trying to get my FD ready for the first Funday next week.

I think I heard you just offer to let me track your M3 on Friday... sweet, thanks man, I will come pick it up thursday evening, and will bring it back friday night. :p

...'cept I won't be able to reach the pedals once you get that seat hard mounted!

David, weather looks to be crap this weekend anyhow, might be your best bet to bow out and wait for another weekend when the car's back up and running properly.

Andy

As far as the fluid, I have to disagree, maybe you have some magical way of not needing brakes..... I accelerate for as long as I can and brake hard before entry...

Brake less. :D Tire and balance are also key, andMO does have mroe fast turns. I have boild a few fluids (Trans, Steering, and Brakes) in my first days of open lapping at Beaverun, but as I got more confident with the cars grip, I used them less.

Could just be the brakes, though. Mine were good and thick, and well vented. I built the heat, I'm sure, but it may not have been built fast enough (or long enough) to transfer to my fluid.

I think I heard you just offer to let me track your M3 on Friday... sweet, thanks man, I will come pick it up thursday evening, and will bring it back friday night. :p

hahaha...I did say RENTAL...we haven't discussed the terms...haha.

Andy may be right, it could be worth it to bail while you can and ensure that you won't be worrying about your car during the day. You can just get it ready and go with us up to Nelson next Friday.

...'cept I won't be able to reach the pedals once you get that seat hard mounted!

I think that inorder to get my arms to reach we'll have to put it close enough that it could work for you. I'll just get you cute little pedal extensions.

hahaha...I did say RENTAL...we haven't discussed the terms...haha.

Andy may be right, it could be worth it to bail while you can and ensure that you won't be worrying about your car during the day. You can just get it ready and go with us up to Nelson next Friday.

Hey! thats a great idea actually, I may do that, the other alternative was I had was Putnam in May, but that may allow me both.