Philosophy

Chad is Dead

I figured I'd post this in this section since it seems this is where most religous etc.. posts are at. Lately I've started reading alot of philosophy and just want some views from others. I am not religous and am kind of just searching for some wisdom from others that are smarter then me. Right now I am reading a book that I really like. It's called "the darker side of wisom" and is about philosophy. So basically I'm just looking for anyone who has read the book or any other thoughts you feel like posting about philosphy.

another good book that is The #1 Best seller of all time, it is THE BIBLE it is a composition of mutiple writers all that are writing about our creation and some where hidden in it is the meaning of life, If you can find it!

another good book that is The #1 Best seller of all time, it is THE BIBLE it is a composition of mutiple writers all that are writing about our creation and some where hidden in it is the meaning of life, If you can find it!

See also: The Torah

See also: The Qur'an

See also: The Torah

See also: The Qur'an

The Qur'an says in it that if you kill yourself and take Westners Lives, You will get 72 virgins!

:actually this is a lie it says it no where in it. But those towl headed mother F**ks believe it:

The Qur'an says in it that if you kill yourself and take Westners Lives, You will get 72 virgins!

:actually this is a lie it says it no where in it. But those towl headed mother F**ks believe it:

Towel Headed Mother Fucker - "I can't believe those Christians think they will live in a city w/streets of gold and sing for eternity behind some pearly gates."

His friend - "Don't they grow wings, too or something?"

THMF - "Really?! Well, those bible thumping mother fuckers believe it."

:p

Towel Headed Mother Fucker - "I can't believe those Christians think they will live in a city w/streets of gold and sing for eternity behind some pearly gates."

I think its going to be what ever you loved the most here, will be what you do up there ( a normal life with no hurt or pain, a perfect life)

Check out Douglas Adams, particularly the (increasingly inaccurately named) Hitchhikers Guide trilogy. Adams had a knack for explaining very boring philosophy in interesting ways.

Interesting fun to read books. Anyone remember the Hitchhikkers MUD? Gotta be getting old. :D

You're an idiot.

I wish I could find the block button.

Since this thread is about reading... which I am QUITE sure you haven't done in a substantially long time.... you should try "No God but God" by Reza Aslan. It might make for a more rounded perspective about "those towel heads". Or you could just go back to watching CMT and harvesting hay.

Thank Baby Jesus (yes Jesus) that some people have the ability to be open minded enough to realize how goddamn hypocritical religious dogmatic criticism is.

TRIPLE POST FOR THE BLOCK

Don't some people (me) have a hard time believing in something they cant see? or feel? or even talk to and get an answer? Im not saying Jesus isnt real..Im just saying im not convinced

Did you ever see Ab Lincoln, Plato, George Washington, Ike, Ben Franklin? I am sure you trust they were real people, Jesus is the same, you have to have faith.

Did you ever see Ab Lincoln, Plato, George Washington, Ike, Ben Franklin? I am sure you trust they were real people, Jesus is the same, you have to have faith.

way bad example. All the people you mentioned have phyiscal evidence that proves that they lived at some point in history and for some there is photographic proof.

That being said how many photos of Jesus do you have? Just saying.

way bad example. All the people you mentioned have phyiscal evidence that proves that they lived at some point in history and for some there is photographic proof.

You're still using faith to a degree that those people existed. You're just picking and choosing.

Jesus is a prominent figure in many books of history outside of religion. There is no question the man existed. There never has been.

Don't some people (me) have a hard time believing in something they cant see? or feel? or even talk to and get an answer? Im not saying Jesus isnt real..Im just saying im not convinced

As Eli said, Jesus was quite obviously real. The divinity of Jesus are what should come into question for you.

All (for our discussion) religions are based on faith. That is to say, the belief, that there is some omnipotent or supernatural being watching over us. Religion is a way to explain that which we cannot understand otherwise. Religion is a way to feel comfortable. Religion is a moral code which we use as a guide to life. Religion is many things but, fact it is not. You cannot prove to me that God does not exist. I cannot prove to you that God does exist.

For some people, everything the feel is religion. The sun warming them is God. The breeze cooling them is God. You cannot prove to me that God did not create those things. You cannot tell me that you do not feel those things.

As for speaking to something that does not answer. I speak to my dogs, car, computer, even nothing. I receive no answers from those things.

I am not a very religious person. I am questioning religion now more than ever. This is quite simply the way things are.

You're still using faith to a degree that those people existed. You're just picking and choosing.

Interesting point. I have seen many portraits of George Washington. Every single portrait I have seen, I must have faith that it is who I am told it is. I'm going to go ponder your point, because I have not thought of this before. Very interesting.

As Eli said, Jesus was quite obviously real. The divinity of Jesus are what should come into question for you.

Word. His existence is not the question, it is that whole, immaculate conception, son of god, water to wine, resurrection, thing that is in question.

Religion is a way to explain that which we cannot understand otherwise. Religion is a way to feel comfortable. Religion is a moral code which we use as a guide to life. Religion is many things but, fact it is not. You cannot prove to me that God does not exist. I cannot prove to you that God does exist.

Which is why atheism takes as much faith as religion. To have absolute knowledge that something does not exist is to have knowledge of everything that does.

This makes me a bonafide fence riding atheist leaning agnostic who doesn't really care either way as I'm fairly sure that nobody has it exactly right... except maybe the Jews. (Seriously)