Where to look for a Ford Lightning?

KlubFoot

The bike or the truck???????

Both I guess... :D

I understand that. I am a little ways off from being able to buy one yet, so I set some standards to follow. I've got some time to search. It'll make it a little harder, but it should be worth it in the end.

If I start looking past 01 they start really dropping out of that price range I'm trying to stick with. I understand the newer the better with these trucks, but it's also the newer the more expensive and currently I can't look much over $15k.

What is your purpose for the truck because everything key is improved on the later trucks. You will either pay up front now or pay later with mods and having to fix it. You either need to save more and get what works or look at something cheaper that fits your needs.

Are you planning to race...? 99/00 is about .5 slower than the 01+ models...

Are you planning to mod...? 99/00 will cost you more to go slower...

Towing...? The 99/00 isn't rated as high as the later models...

Heads, intercooler blower, driveshaft, gears, etc. are all better on the 01+...

The truck will be a 3 season DD. I am looking for something with reliability, looks, basic performance and I will be towing my bike in the back of it. Over time I would shoot for mid-low 12's. I know I would be very happy with a 99-00, but I will keep in mind that I should try for an 01+. Thanks for the info guys.

Both I guess... :D

What is your purpose for the truck because everything key is improved on the later trucks. You will either pay up front now or pay later with mods and having to fix it. You either need to save more and get what works or look at something cheaper that fits your needs.

Are you planning to race...? 99/00 is about .5 slower than the 01+ models...

Are you planning to mod...? 99/00 will cost you more to go slower...

Towing...? The 99/00 isn't rated as high as the later models...

Heads, intercooler blower, driveshaft, gears, etc. are all better on the 01+...

Aftercooler, intercooler midplate, driveshaft and gears are different between the 99/00 and the 01+. Heads from 99 to 02 sucked being three thread heads and the blowers are essentially the same

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some pics of it... they are from my cell phone... sorry

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/iceman1234t/attachment3.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/iceman1234t/attachment2.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/iceman1234t/attachment1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/iceman1234t/attachment.jpg

I used to be an avid lightning owner..... They had head issues on the 99-mid 01 with the sparkplugs popping out of the head.. they revised it and put in the 6 thread sparkplug holes....

Your looking at either alot of time or serious change out of the pocket to get one fixed when/if this happens as the head has to come off...

Also your looking at around 250 a tire when you need to replace them and prem fuel can start adding up too.

I loved and I mean loved that truck 01 #813 Silver

I was relocating to southern ohio and buying a house and blah blah blah and sold it for what I owed.... 14,500 to a dealer in Virginia Beach.

So there are deals out there just hang around NLOC and one will roll around.

For sure. I plan on doing heads, cam, intake and all the supporting mods in the future. I'm sure with proper maintenance and a light foot, the truck will do me just fine until then.