Car Audio Headunit Problem

87GT

So I have a Clarion DXZ555MP headunit. Last night I think the internal amp died. I have no audio to my normal speakers in my car. I only have sound coming out of my sub woofer. This is on the radio and the CD player.

Is there a way to test the internal amp? I called the audio store I bought it from. They told me to bring it in and they could send it out to Clarion to be repaired. Said it would take a couple of weeks. They are not sure how much that would run.

Should I just buy a new headunit or could this one be repaired for less then the cost of a new one?

I have never heard of the internal amp just to quit working..sometimes the outputs die...Do you have aftermarket speakers? Is their any bare speaker wire touching metal anywhere that could effect the noise output before buying a new unit i would make sure that the speaker wire is not grounded out somewhere

I have never heard of the internal amp just to quit working..sometimes the outputs die...Do you have aftermarket speakers? Is their any bare speaker wire touching metal anywhere that could effect the noise output before buying a new unit i would make sure that the speaker wire is not grounded out somewhere

There was but I took care of that a wile ago. Aftermarket speakers all around.

If you have front and rear outs you could just use those and a external 4 channel cheapie amp. Let me know if you need one i think my dad has one i would be able to get him to part with cheap.

I have no idea how to hook up an amp for just the internal 6X9s. Could you help me with it?

Guest mrhobbz
I have no idea how to hook up an amp for just the internal 6X9s. Could you help me with it?

Thorne or myself could help out with that if you decided to go that route.

Guest mrhobbz
Thorne let me know how much he wants to part with it. If I can test it in the car that would be cool.

I also have an old punch 40 i'd let go for a cool $20 Thornes fathers amp is sitting outside in my camaro at the moment :) Decent little 2 channel, 500w max however has no built in crossover.

Guest mrhobbz
I just need something to power 4 6x9s. It doesn't have to be crazy since the 6x9s are on the cheap end...

Neither of the amps are crazy, the pyramid just doesnt have a built in crossover which you may end up wanting. If you're headunit has a built in crossover you should be fine just using that though.

Guest mrhobbz
nope he wont want a crossover. He's not running subs off of it remember :)

just giv eme a call tonight eric

Uhh you still want to filter out the lows thorne...