Yep, I'm a newbie.

636shawn

welp most people put guages because they need it , things like boost, egt, wideband,oil press on modded engine ect,putting guages in for vac and volt does not do it, I dunno maybe you have other reasons behind it, and its not my car but oh well......and why are you wanting the rb20 for? it makes less power then the sr20det , parts are more hard to find, the wiring is more diff, have to use custom mounts, ect? rb20 are only cool when they are fully built, which is going to be hard to even find someone to carry rods for the engine, or cams ect...... what are you going to do when your volt meter tells you alternator in your rb20 is going out and you can not find one for it?

When it comes to spelling I will be the 1st to admit that I am a spelling dumb ass.

The reason I was wanting to do the rb20 is because everyone does sr20's and a rb swap forum on 240sxforums.com said that the rb20 did not take custom mounts and stock driveshaft would work. I did also think about the whole parts problem. I figure by the time I get done doing all of this it's no longer going to be my daily driver. So l'll have time to wait for parts.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and why are you wanting the rb20 for? it makes less power then the sr20det , parts are more hard to find, the wiring is more diff, have to use custom mounts, ect?

Oof - English teacher just committed suicide.

Pic's of the body.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/thrilz4u89/sx%20pics/shawn004.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/thrilz4u89/sx%20pics/shawn003.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/thrilz4u89/sx%20pics/shawn002.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/thrilz4u89/sx%20pics/shawn001.jpg

I picked up some wheels for it last night. I will post pic's as soon as I get them on the car.

Is it green? If it is thats a really nice shade of green. I give you props for doing your own work, but do some research on mods before you hang them. If you buy a 2.5" exhaust and they send you 3" then send that shit back and get what's better for your car. I fell victim to the motor swap dreams...i went as far as getting the motor before i changed my mind. Now I'm stuck trying to sell it. If you haven't done a motor swap/trans work you may want to find someone to "tag team" with to see what your getting into. Not hating....just passing on things i have learned from mistakes i have made.

Is it green? If it is thats a really nice shade of green. I give you props for doing your own work, but do some research on mods before you hang them. If you buy a 2.5" exhaust and they send you 3" then send that shit back and get what's better for your car. I fell victim to the motor swap dreams...i went as far as getting the motor before i changed my mind. Now I'm stuck trying to sell it. If you haven't done a motor swap/trans work you may want to find someone to "tag team" with to see what your getting into. Not hating....just passing on things i have learned from mistakes i have made.

Thanks. It is green, juniper green. The 240's only came out with it for 2 years I beleave 93 and 94. At times it even looks black.

I did do a little looking into the 3" exhaust thing and I did find a thing in modified mag with a 95 ka24de with a greddy ti-c 3" cat back and a 2.5" test pipe, and that's what they found to be the best way to go. I know what I got isn't a greedy but for the $500 price tag I'll just use what I got. Not going to pay that much for a na engine know what I mean?

The bad thing is I don't know anyone that has done a swap in a 240 other than 240sxforums.com. Because befor the rb20 idea came along I was just going to do a built ka-t.

Thanks. It is green, juniper green. The 240's only came out with it for 2 years I beleave 93 and 94. At times it even looks black.

I did do a little looking into the 3" exhaust thing and I did find a thing in modified mag with a 95 ka24de with a greddy ti-c 3" cat back and a 2.5" test pipe, and that's what they found to be the best way to go. I know what I got isn't a greedy but for the $500 price tag I'll just use what I got. Not going to pay that much for a na engine know what I mean?

The bad thing is I don't know anyone that has done a swap in a 240 other than 240sxforums.com. Because befor the rb20 idea came along I was just going to do a built ka-t.

if you do not use custom mounts, you could use the r32 crossmember but its going to place the motor high and upfront,then your going to have to cut the hood up just to make it fit. Just do it right the first time if your're going this route, I have an rb coupe and there are several on this site also, if you are trying to do it cheap do not even try. expect to pay 5-7,500 to do a swap right, with all the mods that need to go with it. If this is your first swap in any car, the rb is not as easy as you think, it takes alot of work more then most people even expect. If your worried about exhaust costing 500$ the rb motor is not for you, just because everyone has an sr does not mean its a bad idea, they are easy a pie to wire and throw in and really cheap to mod, but if you do decide to go Rb let me know I can help you out, im sure any issue you have ive gone through before.

if you do not use custom mounts, you could use the r32 crossmember but its going to place the motor high and upfront,then your going to have to cut the hood up just to make it fit. Just do it right the first time if your're going this route, I have an rb coupe and there are several on this site also, if you are trying to do it cheap do not even try. expect to pay 5-7,500 to do a swap right, with all the mods that need to go with it. If this is your first swap in any car, the rb is not as easy as you think, it takes alot of work more then most people even expect. If your worried about exhaust costing 500$ the rb motor is not for you, just because everyone has an sr does not mean its a bad idea, they are easy a pie to wire and throw in and really cheap to mod, but if you do decide to go Rb let me know I can help you out, im sure any issue you have ive gone through before.

So maybe I should just go back to doing a built turbo ka24? I have seen the blue prints to build one to marks around 400-450hp for around $5500 in just mods(not including the work to bore the block and port the head) to the motor. And I could have the swap done in 1 weekend(because everything the same as what I got now).

So maybe I should just go back to doing a built turbo ka24? I have seen the blue prints to build one to marks around 400-450hp for around $5500 in just mods(not including the work to bore the block and port the head) to the motor. And I could have the swap done in 1 weekend(because everything the same as what I got now).

if you go KA route you can do it much less then 5500, your going to have around 1k-1,500 in machine work alone, depending on what you want done. my dad had this 4g63t rebuilt at M&m they did an awsome job, they hot tanked everything, finished the head, and put in 6 new valves, decked the head and block, micropolish the crank, put in a bs kit, all new bearings, bushed the rods on the new forged pistons, and put togeher the short block for 1300$ you can do it for far less if you put together yourself, If you need any help with the ka also I have built several over the years myself. They have a group buy on zilvia for Eagle rods, je pistons, bearings, hypertech springs, retiners, +1 mm valves ect should check it out. check out the shop page. Another thing just because a motor can hanle 500+ hp does not mean its going to, making that much power takes alot of other things, like lots of fuel mods, sandalone, and good tuning, that alone is going to cost abit .

fuel injectors 200-400$

frp 100-300$

aem w/ ugo 2100$

fuel rail 100-200$

turbo 800-2200 depeding on size and brand

oil /water lines 300-400$

I can go on and on, then on top of tht If you can not tune your going to have to pay someone to do it for you.

if you go KA route you can do it much less then 5500, your going to have around 1k-1,500 in machine work alone, depending on what you want done. my dad had this 4g63t rebuilt at M&m they did an awsome job, they hot tanked everything, finished the head, and put in 6 new valves, decked the head and block, micropolish the crank, put in a bs kit, all new bearings, bushed the rods on the new forged pistons, and put togeher the short block for 1300$ you can do it for far less if you put together yourself, If you need any help with the ka also I have built several over the years myself. They have a group buy on zilvia for Eagle rods, je pistons, bearings, hypertech springs, retiners, +1 mm valves ect should check it out. check out the shop page. Another thing just because a motor can hanle 500+ hp does not mean its going to, making that much power takes alot of other things, like lots of fuel mods, sandalone, and good tuning, that alone is going to cost abit .

fuel injectors 200-400$

frp 100-300$

aem w/ ugo 2100$

fuel rail 100-200$

turbo 800-2200 depeding on size and brand

oil /water lines 300-400$

I can go on and on, then on top of tht If you can not tune your going to have to pay someone to do it for you.

I was looking on turbo240.com. They had some pretty good deals on everything I needed to build the ka. It wasn't crap brands either. Most likely I would do the head work myself. My grandapa has all the tools I need to port and polish the head and over size the valve seats to .7 intake and .5 exhaust. All I was looking to do to the block is take it .20 over and be done. Maybe 350hp or so would be a better goal for me, but build the motor for it to handle more than that so later on down the road I could get more out of it.

So in your opinion, what should I do?

Guest ToFu Man

welcome. im not a big fan of the coupes thou. ive had always own the hatch. but very clean thou. there are very few out there that is very nice and no rust or very little. i just sold my last white 93 hatch 240. loved it but needed the money.. i have to agree with everyone with the 3 gauge pods. but everyone has different taste..

for the RB. my friend is also thinking of doing the RB20. yea parts are hard to find but sr20 are like civics now, everyone has it. +1 for the rb but wish the parts wasnt that hard to grab..

and as for the 3inch catback. for your car the best catback size is 2.5... 3inch isnt doing anything but sound n look weird..

as a 240 owner nice job but just watch what you post and write on here.. theres alot of muscle cars owners here and lets just say we are not that welcome unless you can kick some ass.. trust me ive been there n i can hold my own ground : ) good luck

Well for just starting my 1st real job 5 months ago tomorrow, having my car for 2 months and how far it has gotten in the time that I have had it. Wait untill next summer or so and I'll be able to hold my own ground as well, but I need to figure out for sure where I'm going as far as rb or built ka and fast.

I am of the opinion that if your first mod is a motor swap maybe you are starting with the wrong car....lol

What would you expect? It is a stock 4cyl. car. All I'm doing to it is fixing the interior and beefing up the motor and getting it repainted down the road. I'm getting new seats and carpet in a week or 2. Next motor.

I am of the opinion that if your first mod is a motor swap maybe you are starting with the wrong car....lol

we in the states were short changed on motors, these motors came stock in the silvia's and 180sx and skyline in japan, the 240 is a good platform its light at 2600 for the base xe and just with the simple rb swap, can make well over 300rwhp on stock turbo . friend just ran a 12.2 on a bone stock rb in his 240 on his first run ever, everyone is into different cars . this was also done on a stock 15 inch 6 1/2 inch tire

we in the states were short changed on motors, these motors came stock in the silvia's and 180sx and skyline in japan, the 240 is a good platform its light at 2600 for the base xe and just with the simple rb swap, can make well over 300rwhp on stock turbo . friend just ran a 12.2 on a bone stock rb in his 240 on his first run ever, everyone is into different cars . this was also done on a stock 15 inch 6 1/2 inch tire

I know what they are capable of - I was kidding. But I will say, how many people that talk about doing a swap actually do it? Yep - not many. For most they are better off starting with a more powerful car. They will end up spending more than necessary to get it built. I have all of the respect in the world for someone who tackles one of these swaps and does it right. It is just easy to talk about all of the cool stuff you are going to do to your car.

I agree about the 240sx being a good platform. We may not think that the thread starter started out his "performance build" the right way, but there is always hope for the future.

As for the ricer thing. Oh well at least it don't sound like a Honda.

Oh boy! I bet my stock "Honda" sounds better and is faster than you're nissan. You do realize with that big of piping you're probably losing power right? Or does the silencer hold it back up again so you have SOME backpressure...

I know what they are capable of - I was kidding. But I will say, how many people that talk about doing a swap actually do it? Yep - not many. For most they are better off starting with a more powerful car. They will end up spending more than necessary to get it built. I have all of the respect in the world for someone who tackles one of these swaps and does it right. It is just easy to talk about all of the cool stuff you are going to do to your car.

That's why I'm not setting the bar to high for myself. I know better.

All I'm saying is give me and my car a living chance in hell, and I'm willing to bet that by the time I'm done with it at least a few of you will be impressed.

Hell, now I'm not sure if I want to do the RB swap, might just go with a built KA. It would be simple, all wiring is all the same as what I have now. No reason I can't pull that off.

• Upvote 1

Oh boy! I bet my stock "Honda" sounds better and is faster than you're nissan. You do realize with that big of piping you're probably losing power right? Or does the silencer hold it back up again so you have SOME backpressure...

I'm willing to bet yours is faster. being a 05 it does not have the millage mine has therefore it is probably at it's peak power. You also have at least a 2.0 right? You have to admit that most of the Honda's you see are loud as hell and sound like a pissed off bumble bee, you know that as well as I do.

Like I said before. I did not order the pipes that big. I ordered a 2.5 and they sent me 3". So I said the hell with it I'm just going to keep it on there because I wasn't about to spend more money to have it shipped back and wait another 3 weeks to get it back. And one more thing. as I said before. In Modified mag, there was a 95 ka24de just like mine with the same set up I have and it got very good results with it, that being another reason I didn't send it back. And the silencer is not in it anymore.