Sealing a V8/V6 Intake Manifold?

hpfiend

Hey all,

I've done it numerous ways in the past with no problems (yet!) but which way do the professionals on this list do it?

1)light RTV on both sides of intake manifold to head (port) gasket(s)- adhere to heads then set intake on side also covered with rtv.

2)Bare gaskets with no RTV.

A)Rubber end seals (if available) without locating holes drilled in block, skin of rtv below seal, 1/8"-1/4" bead rtv on top and in corners

B)Rubber end seals with locating holes drilled in block, skin of rtv below seal, 1/8"-1/4" bead rtv on top and in corners

C)No Rubber seal with 1/4"-3/8" bead of RTV across entire front and rear valley and in corners

D)Cork end seals with skin of rtv below and lots on top and corners

My 302 SBF I did 1(A), 460 BB Ford I did 1(B), My LT1 SBC I did 1©, and I have never done (D).

The factory service manuals, haynes manuals, intake manifold instructions, and general info I have heard do not agree or are not clear.

THANKS!

Andrew

i don't use RTV as it brakes down with oils over time. i use either GM Assembly Adhesive or GM Engine Sealent. NAPA also has something kinda like Assembly Adhesive called The Right Stuff.

also i file 13 the gaskets.

it just depends on the motor

when I put buicks together it used a metal valley pan for an intake gasket so I used indian head on it ( gasket shellac never dries or hardens)

on my 5.0 i use rtv or something similarfor end seals and put the paper gaskets on the heads dry

on my jeep the intake and ex manis share a gasket I also put it on dry

i don't use RTV as it brakes down with oils over time. i use either GM Assembly Adhesive or GM Engine Sealent. NAPA also has something kinda like Assembly Adhesive called The Right Stuff.

also i file 13 the gaskets.

Are you talking about the dark grey GM sticky stuff? I am pretty sure I used that on my LT1 and it sealed it right up.

it just depends on the motor

when I put buicks together it used a metal valley pan for an intake gasket so I used indian head on it ( gasket shellac never dries or hardens)

on my 5.0 i use rtv or something similarfor end seals and put the paper gaskets on the heads dry

on my jeep the intake and ex manis share a gasket I also put it on dry

hmm- indian head thats a new one- I am going to google that- Thanks!

Guest 614Streets
only way to do it! ;)

Hey where the hell have you been?

Line up some side work and lets go halfs at my shop , I can work with you if you wear a big old piece of duct tape over your mouth!