Seriously, wtf!

V8 Beast

I come home from work tonight and smell something burning. I track down the smell and notice its coming from the vent in my bedroom. I then hear a wierd buzzing noise. I follow the noise and it leads to the furnace in the basement. After messing around with it for a while I noticed that none of the vents in the house have any air coming out of them. The furnace and ac still cut on but the fan took a crap. Whats funny is my warranty expires in July. It looks like something in my Dominion home actually broke before the warranty expired :eek:

So what usually causes the fan to stop working and to just buzz and give off a burning smell? Its about 4 1/2 years old and I keep the fan on most of the time to keep the air circulating through the house.

Tranes always have a lot of problems. Since it's under warranty right now i'd just have them replace it, but if you ever have any more problems and you're warranty is up, switch to lennox. They are great quality and i could cut you a deal on the installation, maybe the price of the furnace itself too. You def want to stick with the high efficient though

Tranes always have a lot of problems. Since it's under warranty right now i'd just have them replace it, but if you ever have any more problems and you're warranty is up, switch to lennox. They are great quality and i could cut you a deal on the installation, maybe the price of the furnace itself too. You def want to stick with the high efficient though

Yeah, I have had a bunch of issues with it. It seems like every other year I'm down in the basement fixing somethig on it :mad:

To be honest, i think Tranes are actually one of the worst brands there are. I was trying to be nice about it at first, but since you have been having a lot of problems with it already....Tranes are shit. Many large housing companies like Dominion and MI use them just because they are cheap

To be honest, i think Tranes are actually one of the worst brands there are. I was trying to be nice about it at first, but since you have been having a lot of problems with it already....Tranes are shit. Many large housing companies like Dominion and MI use them just because they are cheap

Wouldnt surprise me. The next house I live in the builders will be contracted by me and I'm going to be sure to supervise most of the work. I saw one of the M/I guys building a house down the street and they used a rotted piece of wood and didnt think anything of it. If I wouldnt have called them on it they would have just left it there :eek: It doesnt surprise me that they went cheap.

From the sounds of it, the motor's stuck. I bet simply getting in there and cleaning and relubing it will free it up. Of course, you may've burned your motor out at this point. If it's still buzzing and stinking, the motor may still be ok. People don't realize just how much the effeciency drops in a short amount of time due to dust, dirt, hair, etc. buildup. Do you have any regular fans or ceiling fans that are run all the time? Look at how much dirt and shit collects. Even cleaning a small amount has a HUGE affect on how effecient they are. Even your car cooling fans!!! That thin layer of dirt/grease does have a big affect!

People all too often forget proper and regular maintenace on their HVAC systems. Not only will proper care lengthen the life of it, but WILL save you money due to being much more effecient in the longrun.