OPINIONS on kawi 636

SargeMK3

I am looking at getting another bike and have been looking at an 05 636 I know enough about bikes to know it is a great bike but I would like your opions on the 636 compared to the other 600 series bikes.

thanks

I had an '05 until recently. I loved everything about the bike and never had a problem with it. I felt it was the best looking and performing 600 for the street when I bought it and still feel that way today.

Known common problems:

Coolant leaks from the radiator overflow hose. It kinda weeps out through the top of the hose. You can see deposits usually on the radiator and sometimes the block. This is harmless and in 7000 miles mine was never down on coolant.

Injector tick. This isn't so much a problem as it is annoying to some people. The injectors are loud but this is normal.

Undertail heat. UT exhaust may look cool but man is it a cooker sometimes. As an additional bonus, your passengers will smell like exhaust fumes after even a short ride. Think of this as marking your territory, unless you give dudes a ride.......then it's just not cool. The bike's operating temp is pretty high, this is normal, but a little odd to me at first.

Bolts vibrate loose. In the time I owned the bike, I had to retighten just about anything I could reach with the plastic on. This includes the steering head nut (scary). I lost a few bolts over the years, including 3 out of the 4 that hold the front fender on in one ride.

The foot pegs are known to break in the smallest impacts, this includes if the bike falls over in your driveway (which it likely will). I'd consider aftermarket pegs although I had a contradictory experience to this one when I lowsided the bike and found the pegs to be perfectly fine.

NICE i love to hear the head nut comes loose sometimes :rolleyes:. I usually like to ride without a front tire. i guess ill just have to check that

I can smell it two hours away.

have you considered an 03-04? They're noticably lighter than the 05's but still share the great motor and can probably be found for noticably cheaper. Styling is the biggest change other than the "slipper" clutch.

Actually smokey I have been looking at the 03-04s,tell you the truth im picking one up tomorrow, 03 with 1400 miles. I think im going to like it should be a step up from the old cbr. Do they use the same motor exacty or are there little changes like usual???

It's just because the numbers are quoting 636cc and 599cc...

With the cc difference (obviously), the ZX6R (636cc) is a little stouter than the ZX6RR (599cc)...

http://images.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0408_z+kawasaki_zx_6r_dyno_chart+.jpg

It's just because the numbers are quoting 636cc and 599cc...

With the cc difference (obviously), the ZX6R (636cc) is a little stouter than the ZX6RR (599cc)...

http://images.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0408_z+kawasaki_zx_6r_dyno_chart+.jpg

nice, good find.

I bought an 03' brand new and owned it until the end of last summer. Still somewhat miss it, and got a major kick in the balls last weekend when the person who now owns my very bike came over to visit their friend who lives in my same condo complex (small world).

The biggest difference motor wise from the 03s to 05s is that the 05s have a back-torque limiting clutch which operates similar to and is marketed as a slipper clutch. If you're not riding hard on the track you will likely never need this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Obviously there's a big styling difference between them and that's personal preference, but I liked that the 03s looked more slim, and were....the 05s gained upwards of 20lbs over the previous models.

Performance wise the 03s are great bikes. Mine weighed just over 400lbs wet and with a pipe, filter, and PCIII put down 112rwhp. Hell, I still have my Ohilins shock for it if you want to buy it :D Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks gotbusa thats a nice find I appreciate it, Well just picked up the kawi today and rode it around the block and well defintly a difference between the old f3 cant wait to take it out tomorow.

Thanks somkey if I have any more questions I will be for sure to get a hold of you as far as the shock we will have to see on that....

...oh yea did it make a noticable difference to you????