MSP Cincy

Guest thekefren

Guest thekefren

Stock as of now, some parts will be coming once I have to time...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/thekefren/cars/pictures/mazdaspeed%20protege/IMG_0442.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/thekefren/cars/pictures/mazdaspeed%20protege/IMG_0439.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/thekefren/cars/pictures/mazdaspeed%20protege/IMG_0440.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/thekefren/cars/pictures/mazdaspeed%20protege/IMG_0260.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/thekefren/cars/pictures/mazdaspeed%20protege/IMG_0261.jpg

Guest thekefren
holy slow bad man! lol j.k on of my old buddys had one with a exhaust and intake...didnt do tooo bad for a lil protege0

slow on straight, very true

but the backroads are fun :nod:

Guest thekefren

Not much i can say... From cincinnati, it's stock.

Well I do have two things done i suppose, I have a gReddy FATT and Kartboy Shift bushings and a Karboy Shift Knob

Mod that thing.....

170hp from a modern day 2.0L Turbo seems odd.

6psi ftmfl....

Don't pay attention to that comment. If you're turning up the boost your first mod should be forged rods and pistons.

Your first mods SHOULD be rear sway bar bushings, motor mounts, brake pads/fluid, alignment (use camber bolts or camber plates to get more negative camber out of the front), and lighter wheels and tires.

They're fun cars in the twisties. Sometimes I still miss mine. Maybe I'll pick another one up used someday.

Don't pay attention to that comment. If you're turning up the boost your first mod should be forged rods and pistons.

Your first mods SHOULD be rear sway bar bushings, motor mounts, brake pads/fluid, alignment (use camber bolts or camber plates to get more negative camber out of the front), and lighter wheels and tires.

They're fun cars in the twisties. Sometimes I still miss mine. Maybe I'll pick another one up used someday.

:p

I take it the car is close to the ragged edge already? Did they essentially turbocharge the N/A motor without any other reincorcements or updates ?

:confused:

I take it the car is close to the ragged edge already? Did they essentially turbocharge the N/A motor without any other reincorcements or updates ?

essentially = exactly.

There is much to be gained by tuning what's there, even without cranking the boost on it. It runs lean at the beginning, then maxes out WB02's at 10:1 A/F through the upper half of the rpm band. That's why all the MSP's have soot all over the back of the car. My guess is they did this because the intercooler is horribly inefficient. (It's from the European diesel Protege and is obstructed from almost any direct airflow, and it's tiny. That would be the first "power" upgrade I would do, but it would be mostly for reliability.)

Have you had the car for a while or did you just buy it?

Oh, well that sucks. At least they handle well, and factory LSD FTW!

:)

Quite a few LSD's have broken. When it breaks you can either go with a $1200 Quaife or weld the stock one together at the area it normally shears in half.

Fine, I give, the car sucks balls, you win!

Thanks!

Actually it is a cool car...in stock form. Once you start modding, it gets expensive quick (if you don't want to shoot a rod through the block or shear your diff in half). :p

Thanks!

Actually it is a cool car...in stock form. Once you start modding, it gets expensive quick (if you don't want to shoot a rod through the block or shear your diff in half). :p

Speaking of which, how has your Sky been ? I've read in a number of places that the Sky/Solstice have suffered greatly in the reliability department, but figured it had nothing at all to do with the engine, as I've heard some amazing things out of the ecotec in those things.

Speaking of which, how has your Sky been ? I've read in a number of places that the Sky/Solstice have suffered greatly in the reliability department, but figured it had nothing at all to do with the engine, as I've heard some amazing things out of the ecotec in those things.

The Sky has been ok. Mine was one of the first batches off the line so there are some things I would like changed/fixed. The rear diffs are the biggest issue, but there's a recall for that. Nothing is really "unreliable" about the car. Mostly they are comfort/noise issues.

The 2.4's have ok power, but are torque monsters with a turbo. The 2.0 SIDI turbo's can't be beat for the price/performace ratio.

Here's what the Magazine's had to say about the MSP:

With its first offering, MazdaSpeed has achieved near greatness with the Protege. According to Walton, its "chassis is an inspired piece of work with balance, stiffness, compliance, and precise steering." Lapping the Streets of Willow Springs, the Protege exhibited great poise--neutral and confident in all respects. "The Protege felt as tossable as the Focus, but with an even sharper edge to it," says Walton. "I could drive it way deeper into the turns and take it much faster through the corners than the Dodge or Focus." In fact, the Mazda's chassis was so good that it had us musing about how killer the Protege would be with just a bit more power.

Mazda's first toe dipped into the sport-compact ocean is going to make a big splash and is a great taste of things to come from the talented folks at MazdaSpeed. This Protege hits a sweet spot in the market, delivering fantastic handling, spirited performance, fine balance, great audio, and that signature sport-compact look without compromising the everyday useability of the car. With a few more ponies under its turbocharged hood, the MazdaSpeed Protege would be the hands-down winner of this contest.

The Mazdaspeed Protegé gives up 73 hp and a 100 lb-ft of torque to the overendowed SRT-4, and yet it was surprisingly close to nudging the Dodge out of the top spot. The fact is, none of this car's test numbers, not even its winning handling numbers, do justice to the Protegé's true capabilities. This is an amazingly well-sorted car with surprisingly few compromises. We've heard more than one automotive engineer jealously question how Mazdaspeed managed to sneak such a low, tight suspension past the corporate ninny brigade. The only possible answer: Mazda's ninnies get it.

The key to appreciating the Mazdaspeed Protegé is to take it as a whole. Don't expect overwhelming power, staggering grip or retina damaging brakes. Instead, this car lets you blend acceleration, handling and braking into one seamless and very fast dance. Hustling the Mazdaspeed Protegé down a twisty road elicits the same slack-jawed amazement once reserved for the Integra Type R. A suspension with this kind of unflappable poise and consistent controllability is very rare. Add nearly perfect steering feel, well-balanced brakes and just enough power and you're almost there.

The Mazdaspeed Protegé's crowning jewel is the Tochigi Fuji Sangyo conical ring torque-sensing limited-slip differential. Despite the long, clumsy title, the diff is a subtle, invisible piece of the puzzle that makes the whole package work. Mazdaspeed's suspension tuning, developed with the help of Racing Beat, is unconventional, pairing relatively soft springs with huge anti-roll bars. The result is surprisingly good ride quality over most surfaces. The ride only feels stiff on offset bumps, which allow the big bars to toss the car around a bit. In the corners, drop throttle or a little left-foot braking allow the nose to drop noticeably and the front end to tuck in. There always seems to be more front grip available than you expect.

Despite a 2.0-liter turbo, the Mazdaspeed Protegé has just enough power. Output was intentionally limited to protect the transmission and to allow the long block to remain the same as the naturally aspirated Protegé's. Sticking to parts already in production for other cars is the only way to offer this much performance for so little money. It's the parts bin curse that makes the intercooler almost uselessly tiny and the seats relatively flat. A bigger intercooler and better seats are easy aftermarket upgrades.

Best Feature: Every aspect of the handling, from the steering feel, to the balance, to the level of grip is outstanding.

Worst Feature: Outstanding except for the seats, that is. Lateral support is virtually nil. Prepare to hold onto the steering wheel.

Acceleration

0-30 mph : 2.8 sec.

0-60 mph : 7.6 sec.

30-50 mph : 2.9 sec

50-70 mph : 4.1 sec.

Quarter-Mile Time @ Speed : 15.5 sec. @ 89.4 mph

Lateral Grip (200ft skidpad) : 0.89g

Slalom Speed (700ft slalom) : 70.3 mph

60-0 Stopping Distance : 123 ft (Prototype car had no ABS)