Anyone into Anti-Material Rifles? (aka - "sniper rifles")

Diamonds

I know you expect to want to dial this weapon in, and be able to shoot it without breaking the bank. A .338 Lapua is an amazing round for what it is, not to mention, not as brutal as the .50BMG or .416. I think it would be a hoot to own a Barrett, but at the same time I enjoy shooting my weapons. I don't like throwing money away

i have zero experience with long-range rifles... but they seem exciting... and as i always say.. "go big or go home"

I'm not looking for long range accuracy only... i'm lookign for long range destruction.

Guns to me are fun, shooting is a hobby. why not ball out?

We all have to start somewhere (logn range rifles)... I'm going to opt to start out closer to the top of the pyramid.\\

FOR FUN'S SAKE!!

How are you going to cause destruction when you can't hit what you intend to destroy?

Match grade .308 is still supersonic near 800yards, grain dependant -- .338 is stillo flying at 1000yds. Both will cause destruction - .338 was designed to go through up to 6 layers of Kevlar @ 800+ yards.

M1A's are great rifles but they carry a premium price. You can build a plain old Remington 700R .308/.300WSM bolt into a very capable rifle on the cheap. You can find Mauser 8mm or Lee Einfield .303 bolt rifles for next to nothing on Gun Broker.com.

Dropping X,XXX on a large bore rifle for fun and not having the experience/training to take advantage of it is a bit like dropping XX,XXX on an exotic and driving the speed limit with it.

for a enjoyable gun just to shoot i still want a m1. for under two grand its not overly expensive. but thats just me. its not a uber range blow things up gun, but i still like it and its history.

Join civilian marksmanship program, you can pick them up for dirt cheap and in great shape. Google it

WOW, this conversation went from awesome to Buzzkill in 3 posts by Nate...

Cliff's notes:

Everyone: High powered rifles are cool, and would be fun to shoot

Nate: no they arent, low caliber rifles can do good damage too...

Everyone: "crying in sadness"

Nate = Grounded

for a enjoyable gun just to shoot i still want a m1. for under two grand its not overly expensive. but thats just me. its not a uber range blow things up gun, but i still like it and its history.

Okay M1A or in my lingo M14. Great rifles, I carried one in Iraq my last tour. Expect to shell out a good $2K+, especially if you want glass. Thought you were talking about the M1 Garands for a sec.

WOW, this conversation went from awesome to Buzzkill in 3 posts by Nate...

Cliff's notes:

Everyone: High powered rifles are cool, and would be fun to shoot

Nate: no they arent, low caliber rifles can do good damage too...

Everyone: "crying in sadness"

Nate = Grounded

:)

I admit, I'm jaded from trying to perfect my shooting skills. However, I think if you spent some time behind a .308/.338/.300WSM you'd have a better feel as to how much destruction the smaller bore rifles can cause, with damn near pin point accuracy.

I'm all about blowing shit up, but that's half the battle - you need to hit the shit, to blow it up....I guess.

BTW, have fun carrying the Barrett. I did so with full battle rattle, my M16A4 and lots of ammo up 20 some flights of stairs. Damn M107 is a heavy bitch. I was sweatin like a whore in church.

aren't they close to 50 lbs.

My boy, Nate, makes good cents.

If you want to get into long distance shooting and destruction, do what the rest of the world does, and start out with a nice .308. Work up your distance and destruction level from there.

A twitch (be it inexperience or bad technique) on the firing line, turns out to be a whole hell of a lot at 2000yd.

Okay M1A or in my lingo M14. Great rifles, I carried one in Iraq my last tour. Expect to shell out a good $2K+, especially if you want glass. Thought you were talking about the M1 Garands for a sec.

no you had it right the first time.

although i like the m14 as well. anything from Springfield :bangbang: