Ohio MSF. Registration begins on Feb 02, 2009. Plus changes to Temp permit procedure.

jagr

Though i would post this for anyone who wanted to get a head start on the 2009 MSF courses. The link below will take you to the Motorcycle Ohio site provided by the Ohio Dept. of Public Safety. All courses are $25. Well worth the money despite what the Nay-Sayers will tell you.

1. Research the course you are interested in, as there are a few.

2. Search for locations close to you.

3. See what you will need to bring and what is provided.

4. Have all documents in order prior to registering.

5. BE READY TO REGISTER EARLY. ON-LINE Registration opens Feb. 02. This will be a busy year for metro areas. So register early to get a seat for the time/location/course you want.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

Also be aware that Changes have been made to TEMPORARY PERMIT PROCEDURE.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 10, 2008

Contact: Lindsey Bohrer, BMV, (614) 752-6585 or Lt. Tony Bradshaw, OSHP, (614) 752-2792

ODPS TO CHANGE TEMPORARY PERMIT PROCEDURE

-Change affects temporary driving permits, Commercial Driver Licenses

and Motorcycle Endorsements-

COLUMBUS - Effective Dec. 15, 2008, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and the

Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP), divisions of the Ohio Department of Public Safety

(ODPS), are implementing new measures to increase efficiency and security when issuing

temporary driving permits, commercial driver licenses and motorcycle endorsements.

With the new procedure, customers will first visit an OSHP Driver Examination Station (DX) to

take the knowledge test, rather than purchasing a temporary packet before taking the test. A

temporary photo will also be taken at this time. Customers will be required to show two

acceptable documents before taking the test. The acceptable documents list can be viewed

online at: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/aid.htm.

Results of the knowledge test will be stored electronically and will be verified at a BMV

Deputy Registrar (DR) before a temporary permit or endorsement is issued. Customers will

be able to purchase the temporary permit from the DR only after successfully passing the

knowledge test. The Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws is still available for pick up at DRs, DXs or

by download on www.bmv.ohio.gov to study for the knowledge test.

“This new procedure will not only reduce paper use and increase efficiency, but also ensure

that the person taking the knowledge test, skills test, and the person receiving the license are

the same, and is a great example of two divisions working together to improve service and

security for customers,” said ODPS Director Henry Guzmán.

Passing the knowledge test does not guarantee a license, temporary instruction permit or endorsement will be issued.

Acceptable documents must be presented and verified at the DR,

and a corresponding photo must be taken.

The new temporary permit is an all inclusive plastic document.

All documents presented, and the photo taken, at the OSHP DX are to establish a testing record only.

Customers should note that beginning with the statewide implementation date, Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, they will not be able to purchase temporary packets from DRs until they have passed

the knowledge test at the DX.

DX stations are closed on Mondays, making Tuesday, Dec. 16,

the first day knowledge tests will be available at DX locations.

The new procedure is being implemented after successful pilot programs in the Columbus and Toledo areas were completed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice info.. I like the temp change. Now if you can't pass the test then you don't have to pay up front.. Don't laugh I have seen A LOT of daily cage drivers who didn't pick up the guide and failed the motorcycle permit the 1st time.. :D

I failed mine the first time by 2 points. ;) Better believe I actually read the manual the second time b/f taking it!

the one day course was lots of fun. It was 3 hours classroom and 5+ hours driving on the range. They just started offering the 1 day course the fall of 2007. It was very successful so it has been expanded. If you are an experienced rider I would recommend it.

They also offer an advanced rider course where you must already have an endorsement and you use your own bike.

I've already got my license but I heard it's good to take the course anyway. Can you take the class if you already have you license?

In the experienced rider course you use your own bike and must already have an endorsement. Details below.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/erc.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Sign up early for these if you are interested; I tried all last spring and summer and could not get in because they were so busy. I ended up taking it at C&A Harley for $300 bucks. Even that was worth it to me as I was new rider.

I may take the experienced rider course this year, I know I can always use the practice.

I took mine also last year at Lakeland community college up my way. It was well worth it and would recommend it also to all riders. I hope to take the adv. class this season also.

Good info Jager!!

• 4 weeks later...
We should get a few of us here together and sign up for the same date/location.

Make it an OR event. Any takers?

I'm in if anyone is taking the beginners course... I kept putting it off last year because i was busy, but I want to get in one this year.

I'm in if anyone is taking the beginners course... I kept putting it off last year because i was busy, but I want to get in one this year.

I'm looking to get me and my wife in the beginners course. Will check tomorrow.

You might get enough of a discount that it would pay for the course. You'll have to check with your carrier first. I have Allstate and I got like $6 off a year. I've heard better numbers from other insurers. But that was for the beginner course.