Ohio MSF. Registration begins on Feb 02, 2009. Plus changes to Temp permit procedure.

jagr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a little confused on which course to take so maybe some people who have been there can help. Ive ridden 1000 miles last year and want to take the MSF to get my license learn the extras should i take the basic riders course or the basic riders course 2?

Basic.

Im a little confused on which course to take so maybe some people who have been there can help. Ive ridden 1000 miles last year and want to take the MSF to get my license learn the extras should i take the basic riders course or the basic riders course 2?

I felt the one day course was a bit rushed. I'm glad I did it. It was fun. But if you want to get the most out of it do the 3 day course. I probably will do the 3 day course next year.

man those classes fill up so fast its unbelievable...my gf registered on the 2nd. Before i got my license i tried to register in like....mid feb a few years ago and they were booked up in Franklin county all the way til Jul so i just took got the permit and took the practical riding test to get mine.

man those classes fill up so fast its unbelievable...my gf registered on the 2nd. Before i got my license i tried to register in like....mid feb a few years ago and they were booked up in Franklin county all the way til Jul so i just took got the permit and took the practical riding test to get mine.

I did the same. I am already licensed but I'm taking the beginner course because, well, I AM a beginner, I've got several thousand miles under my belt already but have only been riding since August of 2007, plus my wife NEEDS the class (she wrecked her scoot the first week she got her temps) so I am taking it with her.

Edited by SWing'R

• 2 weeks later...

So when you look to sign up for a class, the classes only go through 06/28/09.

The reason is the state budget isnt finalized for the next biennium(2 years). Agencies arent permitted to make ANY plans until the budget is finalized. This should occur sometime in March or April.

More classes will be given and are probably already scheduled but wont be posted and you wont be able to register until the agency knows the money is in the budget.

So everyone who cant get in a class, as all are FULL, BE PATIENT. When i get a heads up as to when new classes will be posted, you will be the first to know.

• 1 month later...

More classes are now available in Franklin County. Check the website below to check course offerings on your area. I would suggest acting fast if you are interested.

Though i would post this for anyone who wanted to get a head start on the 2009 MSF courses. The link below will take you to the Motorcycle Ohio site provided by the Ohio Dept. of Public Safety. All courses are $25. Well worth the money despite what the Nay-Sayers will tell you.

1. Research the course you are interested in, as there are a few.

2. Search for locations close to you.

3. See what you will need to bring and what is provided.

4. Have all documents in order prior to registering.

5. BE READY TO REGISTER EARLY. ON-LINE Registration opens Feb. 02. This will be a busy year for metro areas. So register early to get a seat for the time/location/course you want.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

Also be aware that Changes have been made to TEMPORARY PERMIT PROCEDURE.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 10, 2008

Contact: Lindsey Bohrer, BMV, (614) 752-6585 or Lt. Tony Bradshaw, OSHP, (614) 752-2792

ODPS TO CHANGE TEMPORARY PERMIT PROCEDURE

-Change affects temporary driving permits, Commercial Driver Licenses

and Motorcycle Endorsements-

COLUMBUS - Effective Dec. 15, 2008, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and the

Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP), divisions of the Ohio Department of Public Safety

(ODPS), are implementing new measures to increase efficiency and security when issuing

temporary driving permits, commercial driver licenses and motorcycle endorsements.

With the new procedure, customers will first visit an OSHP Driver Examination Station (DX) to

take the knowledge test, rather than purchasing a temporary packet before taking the test. A

temporary photo will also be taken at this time. Customers will be required to show two

acceptable documents before taking the test. The acceptable documents list can be viewed

online at: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/aid.htm.

Results of the knowledge test will be stored electronically and will be verified at a BMV

Deputy Registrar (DR) before a temporary permit or endorsement is issued. Customers will

be able to purchase the temporary permit from the DR only after successfully passing the

knowledge test. The Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws is still available for pick up at DRs, DXs or

by download on www.bmv.ohio.gov to study for the knowledge test.

“This new procedure will not only reduce paper use and increase efficiency, but also ensure

that the person taking the knowledge test, skills test, and the person receiving the license are

the same, and is a great example of two divisions working together to improve service and

security for customers,” said ODPS Director Henry Guzmán.

Passing the knowledge test does not guarantee a license, temporary instruction permit or endorsement will be issued.

Acceptable documents must be presented and verified at the DR,

and a corresponding photo must be taken.

The new temporary permit is an all inclusive plastic document.

All documents presented, and the photo taken, at the OSHP DX are to establish a testing record only.

Customers should note that beginning with the statewide implementation date, Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, they will not be able to purchase temporary packets from DRs until they have passed

the knowledge test at the DX.

DX stations are closed on Mondays, making Tuesday, Dec. 16,

the first day knowledge tests will be available at DX locations.

The new procedure is being implemented after successful pilot programs in the Columbus and Toledo areas were completed.

• 2 months later...
Yup the one starting on Thursday evening on Broad street right?

You still taking the course tomorrow night? My wife and I will be there, our names are David & Melissa, cya there I guess!