Where to buy aluminum sheet stock

Guest Kidneyboy

Guest Kidneyboy

Im working on a SC project for my little bimmer.

Does anyone know where i can buy sheet stock alloys? Some aluminum, 1/4" thick, and 3/8" or 1/2" for flanges, 1/4" nominal sizes in feet [4X4 should cove it] . Somewhere local to Cbus would be nice, but i dont mind driving a distance for a good deal.

TIA

Joe

I've always used Research Alloys - south off Goodale across from the old Big Bear headquarters. He does scrap, but has all kinds of aluminum "drops" and cut pieces that he sells per pound regardless of alloy type. He's always done me right over the years.

Guest Kidneyboy

1/2" for flanges. that and if anyone has scrap im not going to turn away a good deal :)

Im making a manifold for a little 4 banger that will have a water to air intercooler built in and needs to be able to support an eaton m90. im pretty sure i will be making some steel bracing for the weight.

Frankly, im not sure what thickness i should go for. Im not going to be running insane amounts of boost [5-8] any suggestions?

Guest mrhobbz
1/2" for flanges. that and if anyone has scrap im not going to turn away a good deal :)

Im making a manifold for a little 4 banger that will have a water to air intercooler built in and needs to be able to support an eaton m90. im pretty sure i will be making some steel bracing for the weight.

Frankly, im not sure what thickness i should go for. Im not going to be running insane amounts of boost [5-8] any suggestions?

Sounds like a neat project, but just out of curiosity.. why an m90?

Guest Kidneyboy

Came across one for $100 with 50k plus some extras.

Downing Atlanta made a kit for the same engine some years back that used an eaton M62 SC. the M62 is a bit more difficult to find, and since the M90 came on so many production cars it brings the cost down.

You may be overkilling, but I'd need to see your aplication and arangement. There's no reason that 1/8" material cant hold 2 Bar if it's welded right. Brakets for the blower should be sturdy, but 1/4" 6000 aluminum should be more than enough.

Going with 1/2 is sure to tbe strong enough, but you're getting more expensive material than you need, and taking on more weight than is neccesary. ;) You should have no trouble with 1/4" for your flanges, as well, as long and they're flat and you've got good bolt coverage ;).

Guest Kidneyboy
Funny you should ask about the M90. Well, for it not to ruin my motor with 20+psi i would have to run it at no more then ~8000rpm which is not very efficient for the blower. In other words: i need a smalled blower

Mercedes has an Eaton for you! AKA Der Kompressor. IIRC the Mazda Millenia uses a compact unit, too.

Given your motor and what you're doing, I would be avoiding roots blowers all together. Too much parasitic loss, you'll be loosing 30% of everything you make. ;) See if you can find a small centrifugal blower, or a DSM turbo.

Guest Kidneyboy

I like the idea behind a roots blower since its more linear than other types and will allow for low end torque.

the car i have now is used for Autocross and DD duties. Roots blowers should work wonders for the little thing.

I was also considering changing the displacement of the engine before SC it. Which will work with boost and help keep the blower RPM up. If i bore/stroke it out to a 2.1L the blower will be in its efficiency range at 8psi.