Ceiling fan spin....?

Putty

Depends on the season/temp and the height of your ceiling. It's summer, so you want the fan to push air down. If it's in a room you're in, having it on med or high is better since you're wanting to creat a wind chill, giving you the impression of cooler temps. During winter, put it on reverse; low or med. This pushes the hot air out toward the walls and down, warming the room and ridding it of drafts.

If you have cathedral type ceiling, you leave the fan blowing down all year, but during the winter, you'd have it on low so as to pull hot air out of the high ceiling bringing it down without creating a wind chill.

Hope that helps.

its the way that feels the breeziest! lollol

""

People often wonder which direction the fan should blow in which season: summer and winter.

First, a word on terminology: Some fans come with a forward and a reverse setting. On "forward", the fan blows the air down. Standing under the fan, you feel a breeze. On "reverse", the fan blows the air up. Now, when you stand under the fan, you feel no direct breeze.

Warm air collects near the ceiling. So, during the winter, turn the fan to "reverse" to circulate the warm air without blowing air down and cooling you in the process. A ceiling fan, running in reverse, gently mixes the air, and helps move the warm air down where you are.

During the summer, on the other hand, turn it to "forward" to create a wind-chill effect as the air moves against your skin and cools you.

Test, and feel the difference. If you can't feel a difference, then it probably doesn't make any difference which setting (forward or reverse) you use.

Some fans don't have a so called "forward" or "reverse" setting. Instead, while looking up at such a fan, it rotates clockwise or counterclockwise.

So, folks want to know, 'Do I set it on clockwise or counterclockwise?'

Unfortunately, this question has no consistent answer, because some manufacturers orient the blades so revolving clockwise sends air down, and others orient their blades oppositely, so revolving clockwise sends air up. The real answer, again, is to stand under the fan, and switch the fan first in one direction and then the other, until you feel the effect you want."""

to push air down the blades will go clockwise.

I already knew the answer to this and was gonna post it if no one had already, but my question is this:

clockwise when you are looking up at the fan, or clockwise as if you were looking at the fan from the ceiling?

I already knew the answer to this and was gonna post it if no one had already, but my question is this:

clockwise when you are looking up at the fan, or clockwise as if you were looking at the fan from the ceiling?

clockwise when looking up to the fan.

Here's a sure fire test if you have some disease and you can't feel wind on your skin.

1. Grab a big handful of flour.

2. Walk to ceiling fan.

3. Turn fan on high.

4. Throw flour into fan.

5. Continue to stare into fan.

6. If you suddenly see white and/or are blinded, your fan is blowing down. Congratulations!

7. If not, activate the small switch on the side of your ceiling fan and repeat steps 1-6.

• Upvote 1

Not all fans work that way. It depends on the angle of the blades.

true but I have never seen a ceiling fan that spins counter clockwise to push air down. not that they are not out there but the for the norm i would say then turn clockwise.