AC problems

94birdman

I have a problem with the ac on my t-bird. The compressor cycles on and off constantly at about 5-10 sec intervals. Using a refill kit pressure guage I checked the pressure on the low pressure side of the compressor and it reads green(good) and increases to yellow(too high). As soon as the pressure goes into the yellow zone, the clutch immediately disengages at that moment and it goes back down to green again. This cycle repeats again and again every 5-10 seconds. There is no reason why the system should be overfilled. Everything worked fine last summer. What is wrong? I suspect a bad pressure sensor or clogged orifice valve. How sould I go about troubleshooting this? Can I perform an impedence test on the pressure sensors? Any input is appreciated.

when trying to recharge the ac, I noticed that the pressure on the low side reads 100psi with the compressor off. It reads 10psi with the compressor on. Should the low side have that high of a pressure with the compressor off? It still needs more gas to get from 10 psi up to around 35 psi so I'm hoping everything is okay.

Guest Removed
I recharged it with 2 cans of R134. It works great for now. Apparently the low side reading 100psi w/ the compressor off is normal. I was just paranoid.

2 CANS AT 12OZ IS FAIL. SHOULD TAKE 2.2 POUNDS OR MORE. :cool:16oz to a pound.

thats why the low side is getting to 10 and cutting off the compressor

I recharged it with 2 cans of R134. It works great for now. Apparently the low side reading 100psi w/ the compressor off is normal. I was just paranoid.

You really should get the evac/recharge professionally done. Those cans aren't worth shit. You need to fill it with a specific amount noted on the sticker.

Guest Removed
You really should get the evac/recharge professionally done. Those cans aren't worth shit. You need to fill it with a specific amount noted on the sticker.

plus 1, and they have sealer in them and can kill a a/c machine now. sealer just gums up thw works.

i mean stop leak was a great idea, but i loved replacing heater cores after someone used it :D

plus 1, and they have sealer in them and can kill a a/c machine now. sealer just gums up thw works.

i mean stop leak was a great idea, but i loved replacing heater cores after someone used it :D

Yeah, I didn't feel like going into that lol. Fuck cans, the end.