Saturn?

Main3s

My Mom is looking for a new car becasue her 2000 Melinna is a POS... Anyway, she is on a limited budget becasue the Mazda suddenly took a dump. Now she is looking at a Saturn SL1, I believe a 99'. Do any of you have experience with Saturns? I know they're GM but are they a good car? What used car would you recomend for around 3k? Thanks for your help.

Sold them for 3 years. Good cars. Check head gasket and make sure the timing chain is not loud.

Other than the above mentioned, they are great cars. However, I did split a couple pairs of pants getting in an out of S-series cars in my day:)

I was previously and now am being rehired as a GM master tech at Saturn West in Hilliard.

Headgaskets are known to leak oil. They rarely cause a running condition. They burn oil a lot from the rings. Motor mounts go out often. Then just random other little things. If you were able to bring it to my house or near Grove City I could check it out for you.

The SOHC's also had a problem with the head cracking on the exhaust cam journal, but they fixed it after '97.

• Confused 1

I was previously and now am being rehired as a GM master tech at Saturn West in Hilliard.

Headgaskets are known to leak oil. They rarely cause a running condition. They burn oil a lot from the rings. Motor mounts go out often. Then just random other little things. If you were able to bring it to my house or near Grove City I could check it out for you.

The SOHC's also had a problem with the head cracking on the exhaust cam journal, but they fixed it after '97.

I may take you up on that offer. My mom really needs something reliable and I don't want to see her buy this and it turn out to be a pit.

Thanks for the feed back.

how is that possible? i have been on waiting lists for 2-3 years for the Master Tech tests. :confused:

You mean the assessments? I'm only GM master certified in engine performance, but GM certified in the 7 other categories.

but you said you were only master certified in engine performance. so that means your only certified in one area and have all your training compleate in the 7 other areas. am i getting this right or did i miss something?