Speeding up turbo spooling

BDHG940

I just got done with a 02 mustang gt and to me it seems like its spooling up late, 4200 or so. Its not that large of a hot side, .68ar and .70ar cold(master power 70mm)

My question is can I have either a different impeller made or some spec of the turbo changed to get rid of some of the lag? I have access to having these parts made and just trying to find out what exactly I should start looking into. My 5.0 spools up the same turbo around 2900 and that to me was too quick. Now this car is too late in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, we did a few pulls in the car only at 5psi on the street and its fun, but this thing would be a completely different car if we could get rid of some of the lag.

thanks for all the stupid ass comments. I think Im going head to harbor freight and pick up a welder then grab maybe some 14 gauge steel and see what happens. Ill be sure to let you know how it works out.

thanks for all the stupid ass comments. I think Im going head to harbor freight and pick up a welder then grab maybe some 14 gauge steel and see what happens. Ill be sure to let you know how it works out.

http://lecramsblog.com/uploaded_images/sense_of_humor-762713.jpg

Its a t4 flange we used and dont think I can even get a small hotside from master power. The exhaust when we were at the dyno didnt have any leaks. It has since started to leak a little bit but still only delayed the spool up maybe a couple hundred rpm. Im going to change one of the crossover pipes tomorrow that feeds the turbo and get rid of the last leak there. The car has the stock gear in the rear so Im guessing a 3.27 which I would think would cause the engine to load the turbo a little more and help, not hurt it?? Am I wrong on that one?

This motor is already at its limits and maybe over some, I really wouldnt want to hit it with even a 25 shot. Torque was peaked right short of 500 at 9-10psi(I cant remember exactly)and I know that is flirting with disaster already. I guess that might work if I wanted to run maybe 6-7psi and then use the 25 shot. Who knows, Im just trying to kick around thoughts. Hell Im not even keeping the car, just used it to mock up the turbos but just want to make sure customers are going to be happy.

Stock block? 500 ponies is a bit past pushing it...... Take it to Brian.

Thats where we got the numbers from

Im building turbo kits so I want to know what these cars are going to be able to make. Its r&d really, if the rods go it sucks but I guess its a write-off. on the street we are just running around 6-7 psi. It was 440 hp on the 10#pull, 495 torque. Just doing pulls to see what happens

oh and it is 100% bone stock, stock catback even.... I know its asking for trouble up around 10psi on those stock internals. Hell its making more than my cobra and that is already pushing it from what I know

oh and it is 100% bone stock, stock catback even.... I know its asking for trouble up around 10psi on those stock internals. Hell its making more than my cobra and that is already pushing it from what I know

You're running a stock exhaust and posting up asking why it takes so long to spool? Are you for real?

Weld in some Dynomax Turbo mufflers of pick up a good cat back. Also get rid of your catted midpipe

Or another option is to weld in some cutouts.

You're running a stock exhaust and posting up asking why it takes so long to spool? Are you for real?

Weld in some Dynomax Turbo mufflers of pick up a good cat back. Also get rid of your catted midpipe

Or another option is to weld in some cutouts.

Are you serious? That is why Im asking these questions. Im building kits to show people that with simply bolting on my kits, what hp you are going to make(not everyone is going to have aftermarket exhaust and will show good number even with horrible exhaust). Sure I know if I run it open or with a race bullet its going to benefit. There is a vband connection right below the passenger seat to run it open if you want. You really think stock exhaust is holding it back that much?

If you read any of my other post, this is a car I bought, mocked up, and do not want to spend any other money to mod the car. Sure the stock catback sucks I know but its money down the drain if I put more into it.

This is the point of the thread, give me facts to back up the statements. Im just looking for help, if I knew all the answer I wouldnt have posted up this topic and would be asking people. So YES Im serious about everything I have posted so far.

ex: 10psi through the stock catback = 440/495 on a bone stock motor with our turbo kit bolted on and Dyno tune motorsports tune-fact

that is crazy running stock exhaust that turbo is having trying to exhale, You could even leave and open dp would be better. try running a v mount set up if you really want to get spool line, shorten the pipe length.

open downpipe sounds like shit on this car and I wouldnt even drive the car if I had it setup that way. Its a total sleeper the way it sits right now actually and hard to even tell its modded, looks and sounds almost stock. Kinda cool even if it is hurting the spool up. I do have one v band on the downpipe before the y pipe and catback if I wanted to run it open, it could be done within a few minutes. It is so raspy when its open though

+1 lose the stock exhuast and see whats happens

you could also retard the timing a little but you lose some top end

Brian was pretty happy with the timing, I think it was 9 degrees and topped at 14

So in terms of the tune, it was all pretty safe(besides for the numbers it was making on 10psi, the stock shortblock I dont think will like it for very long).

open downpipe sounds like shit on this car and I wouldnt even drive the car if I had it setup that way. Its a total sleeper the way it sits right now actually and hard to even tell its modded, looks and sounds almost stock. Kinda cool even if it is hurting the spool up. I do have one v band on the downpipe before the y pipe and catback if I wanted to run it open, it could be done within a few minutes. It is so raspy when its open though

Yeah I understand and would also hate the noise open dp's im just saying just to take it off to see how much it effects spool time.