Oil in the intake valve

Buck531

Other than having the motor tipped on it's side, what would cause oil to be in the intake valve? i picked up this motor and noticed that there was a good amount in the head in valve area. I cranked it over by hand so it bled down into the cylnder and then it was flowing out of the spark plug hole.

I think it was dumped on it's side since the s/c pulley is slightly bent.

Also, this motor hasn't run in 18 months.

Any other ideas?

Leaky valves, bad rings/seals? I mean, as far as having an alternative reason to it being dumped on it's side.

I dont' think it could be a leaky valve. I mean. the intake valve was sealed shut since there was a nice puddle of oil in that valve. as soon as I cranked the motor over a few times the oil seeped down into teh exhaust and then the piston pushed it out of the cylinder.

probably just from being tipped over with oil in it.... it'll smoke pretty good when you fire it up

do you think it would be a good idea to throw some brake cleaner in the cylinder to clean it out and crank the car by hand to clean it out or just let it smoke out?

when you start it make sure all the windows in your house are shut you may want to warn you neighbors too....

And then if your Dave and your Sunbird's engine unknowingly had 5 quarts of oil in it when it was upside down on a stand, you may want to warn the entire city before you start it.............