Apple iPhone "Kill Switch"?

ImUrOBGYN

Are you guys aware of the "kill switch" embedded in the 2.0 software for the iPhone? This is so Apple can remove whatever software that is on your phone they see fit. How far will they go and will it only be used for good? Guess people will have to wait and find out.

Some info and thoughts on it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10010070-37.html?hhTest=1

Small amt of info but links to removing the "kill switch" located within article.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080818/0155492002.shtml

has nothing to do with jail broken phones, infact if you jailbreak, there is a fix to change the server location it looks for to do the black list. Jobbs says they will not use it, and if they do it will be last effort. This can be a good thing also. If someone embeds some malicious code in an app and apple finds out they can clean all the devices. I'm cool with it, they could have used it after they took "phonesaber" off the app store because Lucas Limited demanded it be taken down. I still have the app, you just can't download it anymore. Those of us that got it, get to keep it.

has nothing to do with jail broken phones, infact if you jailbreak, there is a fix to change the server location it looks for to do the black list. Jobbs says they will not use it, and if they do it will be last effort. This can be a good thing also. If someone embeds some malicious code in an app and apple finds out they can clean all the devices. I'm cool with it, they could have used it after they took "phonesaber" off the app store because Lucas Limited demanded it be taken down. I still have the app, you just can't download it anymore. Those of us that got it, get to keep it.

What's the phonesaber thing? Don't feel like looking it up. lol I probably will later when I'm bored.

Look, if you bought an Iphone you already sold your soul to Apple. Why does anyone really care that there is a hook in the firmware to let them control what is allowed to run on your phone? My phone doesn't run shit! (not an iphone or something even remotely similar.) What's the big deal here? Hell, I wish Microsoft would rip this off, and embed something similar into windows. They could publish blacklists for viruses and malware so we don't have to waste 50% of our CPU cycles on scanners trying to stop the crap that floats around.

What's the phonesaber thing? Don't feel like looking it up. lol I probably will later when I'm bored.

it's an app that is a lightsaber, and using the accelerometers it makes the noise that a lightsaber makes when you wave it, but if you wave and stop it hard it sounds like you are fighting with it. You can also choose the color of lightsaber. Lucas saw that it was very popular and now he is going to make an app and charge for it, phonesaber was free. Funny he had to have seen isaber at the same time but because everyone hated it, he let that one go for a little while longer. :)