I hate working on the ground

Guest Hal

I need to have my car up on a lift, especially with my back. Dropping my tank while laying on gravel, sucked.

Who would be willing to pay to have the ability to use a lift hourly? What if that fee could include the use of most tools? What if that fee could also include oversight and assistance from a mechanic?

I'm just curious who out there would be willing to pay a small fee for something like that.

Lol, meany. I'll keep doing it. I just wondered if people would pay someone like me, to provide those "services".

You're fit enough, and short (lol). Try being 330 lbs crawling under your car and swapping a motor into it by yourself.

I do agree with you though. There are time that I've needed a lift and didn't have access. It would have made my life SOOOO much easier at the time.

At least I have a concrete floor and not gravel. That would definatley suck.

If I lived closer you guys could use our lift for free , all I would ask is to respect our property, take your trash ect. But if I did not have acess to use a lift and air tools I would def pay a place that let me use a lift and lend a tool or somthing.

Lucky!

That's kind of the response I was hoping for. I know I don't want to let someone else touch my car but, some jobs can be really annoying on the ground. A lot of jobs also require specialized tools/equipment to be done. Most DIY'ers don't have those tools.

Level 1: You can use the lift with your own tools. $

Level 2: You can use the rack and tools. $$

Level 3: You can use the rack, tools, and have access to someone who can assist in any reasonable way (shor of actually doing the job for you) $$$

That's basically how I see things in my head.

You're fit enough, and short (lol). Try being 330 lbs crawling under your car and swapping a motor into it by yourself.

I do agree with you though. There are time that I've needed a lift and didn't have access. It would have made my life SOOOO much easier at the time.

At least I have a concrete floor and not gravel. That would definatley suck.

I was stupid and took the fuel system apart before I pulled the car in the garage :rolleyes: . Not only did I do that, I dropped it with a half tank (maybe more) of gas.

Lucky!

That's kind of the response I was hoping for. I know I don't want to let someone else touch my car but, some jobs can be really annoying on the ground. A lot of jobs also require specialized tools/equipment to be done. Most DIY'ers don't have those tools.

Level 1: You can use the lift with your own tools. $

Level 2: You can use the rack and tools. $$

Level 3: You can use the rack, tools, and have access to someone who can assist in any reasonable way (shor of actually doing the job for you) $$$

That's basically how I see things in my head.

This is a good idea for kids/ guys with no garage or parents that do not let them work on cars in their garage, some people can not afford to pay a shop to do work, so they can only afford small task/mods they know they can handle , a place like this would be idea for 75% of college kids into cars

I hate to say it, but it's been tried before. Every couple years, I hear about someone opening up a "self-serve" bay at a garage. Unfortunately, if you check back a couple months later, it's gone. There just isn't enough demand to make it more profitable than just doing business as usual with a trained mechanic doing the work. But if you're just looking to help your friends out, and maybe eventually pay for the lift, that's another thing.

BTW, if you're thinking about a lift, check out Northern Tool, they've got some nice stuff.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200358064_200358064

Guest 614Streets
You better charge the fuck for that service. If I can make 3- 400 bucks in 2-3 hours and I do , then this type of thing is a fly buzzing in my ear. From a money stand point it doesnt make sense.

As far as the "mechanic's oversight", you're dead right. No mechanic in his right mind is going to watch over some shade-tree, when he can charge five times the money to do his own work.

But, like I said, if you're buying the lift anyways, and just want to defray some of the cost, renting time on it would be the way. Just realize that you're gonna have to write up some kind of waiver that will allow you to have unfinished cars moved, and release you from liability for some dumb-ass fucking up his own car...

Guest 614Streets
As far as the "mechanic's oversight", you're dead right. No mechanic in his right mind is going to watch over some shade-tree, when he can charge five times the money to do his own work.

The other angle is liability. If little suzie cuts her hand on daddys car playing me rub alot , because you used side cutters on the wb 02's strategically placed black zip ties looming your awesome here we go ah (bob ross voice)"There" "There" harness , instead of stay strap cutters. CYA.

Thats the militant business side of training I recieved at MMI but in the real world I personally use side cutters but the bastards had a point.

Yea this isnt worth your time Hal. Insurance, Liability, dealing with idiots, having broke down cars all over the place. Just not worth it in my opinion. It is a great idea, but just too much hassle. It would be kickass if it was doable, and I would have loved to have that about 3 years ago, but now I have my own lift too :)

If you find a way to cover the legal end of it I don't think it would be that bad. If you have a hook up with a lawyer you could get that done on the cheap and then you would be set.

I would pay to have access to a lift. You could even use it to help promote teh site or have gatherings.

very good idea... it would be nice to have a lift... you can rent practically any tool needed for any job from advance auto/auto zone and they give you a full refund wen you bring it back. I rent the brake removal kit every time i do someones or my own brakes. Makes a driveway brake job done a billion times faster. Its $96 (advance auto) but you get it all back when you take the kit back 20min later when your all done!....

I was able to use a guys lift to put on my test pipes a few weeks ago, it made it amazingly easy, and not having to have the fear of you car falling on you and crushing you to death is always a positive note in my book.

i would definitely pay for the use of a lift.

Some of you guys missed the point, I can get a lift nice and cheap if I want. Too often I hear "I want to do it myself, I guess I'll just give it a try". That is money out of my pocket. I would continue to do work (scheduling oversight time would change some things).

As for contracts and things, my dad is an attorney that taught contract law for ~20 years.