Running Rough

Ahmadi6490

Just bought an 86' Fzr 600 the other day. Got a new battery and starter and it starts right up. It idles good but once I leave 1st gear the idle jumps to 3k rpm and even when I shift back into netural it'll stay there. Any idea? The guy I bought it from said it might need tuned....as in the carbs and whatnot?

Could be a few things...you could check the throttle cables to see if they are sticking. It could be a vacuum leak...with it running, spray WD40 over the intake boots and other hoses to see if the idle decreases. If you have to break into the carbs - find out all the stock settings first...like jet sizes, float height, etc... Then once you tear it apart, you can tell if anything has been done (ie jet kit)...

Have you taken apart carbs before?

I'll give it a try tomorrow...also two more things. When im in gear white smoke will come from under the headers, I looked earlier and couldn't find any leaks. Could something else cause this or is it def a leak and I need to look harder? And The previous owner said the petcock leaks a little bit of gas. Before I rode it today I put tape over the petcock. After riding I saw there was gas on a few wires and the frame but the tape was perfectly dry...any ideas where I should look? Maybe replace the fuel lines because I saw very fine cracks in them.

-Thanks a ton